icon

connecting to hazard lights vs blinkers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
etang789 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2010 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
I am uninstalling a Clifford 50.5x and replacing it with Viper 5901 on my Honda S2000.
The previous installer connected the parking light flash wire to the Hazard light, instead of connecting to the left and right blinker separately with diode. What problem will this cause whats the difference? Which way is better?
corrado007 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2010 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
Hey etang, I'm planning to install a 5902 next weekend and have a thread going for that install. I thought I'd share a few quotes from that thread that are somewhat relevant to your question. I'm still not perfectly clear on what the benefit to hazards would be over the standard parking light output. Sounds like it would be the same to me. I'll be following along here as well.
Chris Luongo wrote:
Turn on the hazards and listen for the factory flasher clicking on and off. When you locate it, look for the negative hazard flasher there.
If you connect your GREEN/ black disarm and GREEN / WHITE rearm wires to the hazards, you'll get flashes when you lock and unlock, similar to (but not exactly like) the factory setup. It'll also flash at remote start startup and shutdown.
howie ll wrote:
The hazards, we always wire the white to the hazards in Europe (or pos to GREEN/ black and GREEN/ YELLOW) 'cause everywhere but North America uses the AMBER lights as direction indicators, not white front and red rear because they are much easier to spot, thus on late Toyotas, neg feed to the neg wire at the hazard switch.
By the way, here's the link to the thread those quotes came from since we are basically installing the same alarm and some of the information may be of interest to you.
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~124316~KW~5902+rav4~PN~1~TPN~1
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2010 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
I worked on a S2000 before. Cant remember what I did for the parking lights. Im pretty sure I went to the parking light wire somewhere under the dash, and its only 1 wire.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2010 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
Vehicles use amber indicators everywhere but North America. Corrado, with all respect why should a Honda be like a Toyota?
In fact you need to take the white wire from the unit, diode out in a "Y"** shape 1N5404 x 2, bands away from the alarm* set to + and joined to GREEN/ YELLOW and GREEN/ blue wires either Haz Switch, steering column loom or floor loom. That's how it's done everywhere but the US.
*If your unit states 10amp only power handling on that white wire you will need 1 relay + the diodes or 2 relays.
** In fact DEI package the two diodes, pre-joined via white cable for Europe on the US (basic) models it sells here.
corrado007 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2010 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Vehicles use amber indicators everywhere but North America. Corrado, with all respect why should a Honda be like a Toyota?
Hey there Howie,
I did not intend to suggest at all that a Honda is like a Toyota. It seemed to me that the original poster was asking what the difference is between hooking the parking light output to the hazard lights as opposed to the blinkers and which is preferable. I wondered the same thing in my 5902 install thread and some of the explanations I received, including yours, seemed relevant. My intent was not to direct him to use the wire colors that apply to my Toyota but rather to share the information surrounding it. He didn't seem to have any question about what wires to use so I didn't expect that the Toyota specific information would confuse him. Perhaps I misunderstood his question.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2010 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
OK Corrado, point taken, no offence meant, my toothache is acting up and I've been rather sarcastic with some incompetent people today.
OK etang, the 50X is I believe identical to your 5901, I believe the only difference is in the remotes so if it worked before, don't try to fix a non existent problem let it be!
corrado007 
Posted: November 14, 2010 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
No offense taken Howieconnecting to hazard lights vs blinkers -- posted image. . Sorry to hear your tooth is giving you trouble.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,601
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2010 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
I think the guy wanted to know if connecting it with diodes would be better rather that the negative triger at the hazard switch, answer, either way is fine, no significant difference between them.
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2010 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

I will take back what I said in my first post. I forgot the S2000 has side markers. So you can listen to the members that posted above.

When I install alarms, I like the corner lights (parking lights) to flash, not side markers. Do corner lights and side markers flash together? I didnt pay attention to that when I worked on the S2000.

etang789 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2010 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
corrado007 wrote:
Hey etang, I'm planning to install a 5902 next weekend and have a thread going for that install. I thought I'd share a few quotes from that thread that are somewhat relevant to your question. I'm still not perfectly clear on what the benefit to hazards would be over the standard parking light output. Sounds like it would be the same to me. I'll be following along here as well.
Chris Luongo wrote:
Turn on the hazards and listen for the factory flasher clicking on and off. When you locate it, look for the negative hazard flasher there.
If you connect your GREEN/ black disarm and GREEN / WHITE rearm wires to the hazards, you'll get flashes when you lock and unlock, similar to (but not exactly like) the factory setup. It'll also flash at remote start startup and shutdown.
howie ll wrote:
The hazards, we always wire the white to the hazards in Europe (or pos to GREEN/ black and GREEN/ YELLOW) 'cause everywhere but North America uses the AMBER lights as direction indicators, not white front and red rear because they are much easier to spot, thus on late Toyotas, neg feed to the neg wire at the hazard switch.
By the way, here's the link to the thread those quotes came from since we are basically installing the same alarm and some of the information may be of interest to you.
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~124316~KW~5902+rav4~PN~1~TPN~1
If you can do a install threat that would be great! Are you doing on a S2000 as well?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic