t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  

So here's the equipment

Pioneer head unit,

soundstream lil wonder 480.4 playin two selenium drivers 3500ti series,

power acoustik 1600.2 playin two 10inch eighteen sounds,

earthquake powerhouse 3000 watt monoblock that's supposed to play two 12inch O2 subs,(currently playin one)

clarion pre-amp

coustic crossover,

Stinger spv70 in the trunk.

i know the equipment is all over the place but i'm just working with what the customer supplied, now everything works except the when i turn up the volume  and the bass goes really loud the amps,  mono and the 1600 playing the mids trips out, and the lil wonder on the drivers continues as normal,  the subs have been packed down for over seven years so they are old but they were from the plastic brand new, i noticed that even though the bass gets really loud the cone of the speaker barely moves, could this be causing my tripping or can exccesive power draw be the culprit? N.B. even when the bass hits the lights don't dim out so i'm thinking it couldn' be excessive power draw but then again i don't know alot of the theory behind the art of audio except what i've learned here.

Vehicle is a 1996 nissan sentra.

66sportfury 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2010 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  
power wire to small? poor grounds or power connection. are all the remote leads connected to the one from the deck? or do you have a relay to turn on the equipment.?
ac delco am radio and sparkomatic 40 watt sound exploder
t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2010 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
Ogauge power supply, i was thinking it could be the remote supply since all are connected to the supply from the deck.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2010 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like low voltage cut out.  What's the voltage at the amps when they cut out?  Could also be gain is too high.  Make sure it is set properly.
Support the12volt.com
dodgeram10 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2010 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  

I had this same issue about 15yrs ago with a old coustic amp powering a set of cerwin vega subs in a ported box . I checked to make sure the impedance wasnt too low by wiring the dvc subs in series but did the same thing , Would cut out at about 3/4 volume then work  fine when i lowered the volume to about half volume . Come to find out the ported box they were installed in was slightly undersized & tripping the amps protection curcuit , when i built a new bigger box to the exact specs of the subs they worked fine .

Dont know if that might be the problem but is worth double checking the subs wiring & box size . Old school subs seem to be less forgiving when i comes to ported boxes than newer subs .

Also always wire a relay if i need to run the head units remote turn on lead to more than 2 or 3 components .

66sportfury 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2010 at 4:03 AM / IP Logged  

t&t tech wrote:
, i was thinking it could be the remote supply since all are connected to the supply from the deck.

yep that happen to me, would be fine at low volume, turn it up and the amps would shut off. installed a relay to turn the amps on never had a problem since.

ac delco am radio and sparkomatic 40 watt sound exploder
mcintosh-asylum 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2010 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
possibly even bad rca cables or too little of a power wire. does it come in and out or does it just cut off completely and not come back into play?
t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2010 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
Cuts out and the protection comes on. The voltage when they cut out is 13.8volts, i'll check the gains, and relay the remote wire and see if that remedies the problem.
roadkilll 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2010 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
Since your lights don't dim, it's probably not your battery/alternator.
Since the amp cuts out only at high volume, it's unlikely to be related to the remote wire.
Factors left to check:
  • Head unit outputs low voltage. 2V should be ok, and if it's 4V or more it's unlikely this is your problem.
  • Gain set too high, possibly a result of the above. General rule of thumb is no more than 3/4. Also, if your bass boost is low, turn that up and turn this down.
  • Bass boost too high. I believe adjusting bass boost to be higher is preferred to setting your gain higher. So this shouldn't be a problem, and points back to gain being too high.
  • Power wire too thin. You should be running 4ga at the very least. Is it a strong, secure, and fully-conductive connection?
  • Bad ground connection. Your amp is only as strong as the weakest link. Even though this is a small link it can make or break the flow of power. It's a good idea to overdo your ground connection.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2010 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
does it cut off and stay off or does it cut off and come back on within a few seconds or does it stay off until you turn the volume back down?
is the battery and alternator stock? that is a lot of amps to run off of a stock electrical system.
the first thing that comes to my mind is to check for any kind of voltage drop on the power and remote lines. if you get a drop you should check your grounds for any loose connections and maybe try moving the ground point. if those are good then you might need a battery or alternator upgrade.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic