icon

speaker wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
millionville 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2010 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
can i wire 2 speakers in series then ad 1 more speaker in parallel to the 2 in series.   for instance... i wire a couple 3ohm speakers in series to make 6ohm. if u wire a 3ohm and a 6ohm speaker in parallel then that makes 2 ohms. is it possible to combine speakers with different impendence.
millionville 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2010 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
for some reason it seems as tho ill have 2 speakers at 6ohms and 1 at 3ohm. and that seams like an unstable load for at 2ohms
millionville 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2010 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
This must be too tough a question for you guys. I mean I know its probly talked about somewhere on this sit. But who wants to go look for it.
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2010 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
Your math is correct,
However your speakers will NOT each get the same power.
Example, if your amp gives you 100watts at 2 ohms it does not mean that each of the speakers will get 33 watts. This is because the load is not equal.
You also mentioned that the amp can't handle?
Are you bridging a 2channel amp?
Most 2 channel amps are only 4ohm minimum on bridge.
millionville 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2010 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
the amp is 4 channel. i will be bridging it and runnin 3 speakers on 1 channel and 3 speakers on the other channel. 440w each channel @2ohms. 110 watts per speaker at 75%.... 145 watts per speaker at full power. speakers are rated 120w rms.
millionville 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2010 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
you said each speaker wont get the same power.. example... would 2 of the speakers get the power the amp would give at a 6 ohm load?? and one speaker will receive the proper 3ohm load???
I was hoping that all three speakers no matter what order the series/parallel is that they would all equal 2ohm and therefore receive the same(equal) amount of power.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 17, 2010 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

What kind of amp do you have that is capable of running 2 ohms bridged?

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 17, 2010 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
Just for the sake of easier math, let's use 400 watts per channel.  Said load will divide the power as follows.  The 3 ohm speaker that is by itself and not seriesed with any other speaker will recieve 2/3 of the available power.  The 2 speakers wired in series will recieve 1/3 of the power.  1/3 of the total power which will be shared by the 2.  So each of those speakers will recieve 66 watts.  and the single speaker will see 264 watts.
millionville 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2010 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
over looked the specs. the amp is stable at 4 ohms bridged not 2. my bad.
thanks for the info. u said just what i needed to hear. and i wont be wiring my speakers that way.
perhaps u could help me iamanidiot. I curently have (3) pairs of tts6.5 soundstream components, and (1) trx4.880 soundstream amp.
I have the means to buy one more set to make (4) pairs. [I have 4 mount holes on each door]
Lets see if i need to buy that 4th pair or not
millionville 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2010 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
what would happen if i put a 1.5ohm load into a 2ohm channel?? would it ruin my amp? say i only kept it at 75-85% gain?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic