icon

zapco amp blowing fuses

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mike-e209 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2010 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  

i have a zapco AG200. every time i connect the 12v the fuse blows instantly. i do have a DMM and i am pretty good at soldering and replacing parts in small electronics. i just dont have much knowledge how to properly troubleshoot the amp or even have knowledge about what it could possibly be thats wrong. there are no amp repair shops near me.  my only option is sending it to zapco but they want $70 just to look at it. thats insane, im sure my shipping on top of that will be about $20. can someone help me out by putting me in the right direction or point out what i should test and how. THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCED.

zapco amp blowing fuses -- posted image. http://ampguts.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8216&title=zapco-ag-200-inside&cat=2073

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,672
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 19, 2010 at 3:20 AM / IP Logged  
If it blows the fuse without the remote wire connected, the power supply has failed.  If it does not blow the fuse with only power and ground applied, but it does blow when remote terminal is powered as well, the probelm lies on the audio section of the amp.  Either situation is repairable, which of the above situations describes what you have going on?
mike-e209 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2010 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
when i connect only with the battery 12volt. the remote is fine. wher is the power supply in the picture? i have no idea wher it is. i would like to know so that i could remove it and order the part and replace it. THANKS FOR THE FAST RESPONSE TOO
dodgeram10 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2010 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.justrepairs.com/main.html  They offer free repair estimates & have a very good reputation . Prices are reasonable too .

i am an idiot 
Posted: November 19, 2010 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

mike-e209 wrote:
when i connect only with the battery 12volt. the remote is fine.

I can not make heads or tails out of the above.  With only the power and ground connections connected, does it blow the fuse?

The 6 clamps to the right of the picture hold the 4 power supply transistors along with the 2 rectifier diodes.

Do not unsolder anything until we determine if the parts are bad. 

mike-e209 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2010 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  

im sorry, just read what i replied and my wording really was confusing.

on the terminals for power. 12V - REMOTE- GROUND

this is whats happening.

step 1. i connect GROUND = everything ok

step 2. then i connect the REMOTE wire= everything is ok

step 3. connect 8AWG 12v constant power= POP FUSE IMMEDIATLY BLOWS.

@ i am an idiot - "With only the power and ground connections connected, does it blow the fuse?" - Answer: Yes

@ dodgeram10 - thanks ill look into that too

i am an idiot 
Posted: November 19, 2010 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  

When I say power and ground, I mean only the 2 wires.  The big power wire and the big ground wire.  You stated that you connected the remote wire second in that order.  I need to know with only 2 wires connected, does it blow the fuse. 

mike-e209 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2010 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  

@ i am an idiot - i did what you asked, only 2 big power cables. yes it did blow

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2010 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
Then the amplifier's power supply is bad. 
Support the12volt.com
mike-e209 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2010 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

@DYohn - thanks. im sure this is a stupid question. but ther is only 1 power supply correct?

is it possible to test a power supply w DMM how would i test it?, i dont even know which one the power supply is. i feel stupid asking this question cuz i am familiar with electrical components (capacitors, diods, transistors, resistors, potentiomenters...) but i have no idea what the power supply looks like and ther for dont know wher it is located on this amp.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic