icon

Volume displacement question...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Dan M C 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2003 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
Aproximately how much does a 12" sub basket does displace ?,my sub is a 12" a/d/s/rs.2.I have to make a box 3.28 cubic feet of interior displacement,how much extra should i allow for the 12" a/d/s/ ?
Thank you
DanVolume displacement question... - Last Post -- posted image.
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2003 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
lol...I usually just take a wild guess while looking at the sub...I havent seen an 312rs.2 for awhile, but would roughly guesstimate it at around 1/10th of a cube...this may be of some help or it may not be quite accurate enough for you...sounds like the box design you have in mind is quite precise...
if you want to be uber precise, get a large bowl and pour water into it (a measured amount of water) and thoroughly wrap your sub in plastic so that there is no chance of leakage...drop the sub in and measure how much water is displaced and you will have all you need to know...you can do it 2 ways, totally submerge the sub with the bowl full and use a larger bowl or dish to catch the water that gets displaced; or submerge the sub in a container that isnt all the way full and measure the amount of water that rises and calculate displacement from there...
when I say submerge, I dont mean to totally "submerge" but to place the sub up to its mounting backplate which you screw through...
there may be some more technical ways to do this, but it seemed accurate enough for me the last time I did it...
good luck!
Cletis 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2003 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  

Normally, you should be able to find the displacement in the owners manual.  If not RF gives a formaula to calcualte it. 

4 x 0.33 x 3.14 x 0.5 x 0.6 x (distance from mounting surface to the bottom of the magnet)^3

This will give you the displacement within 25%.  The answer will be in cubic inches.  To convert to cubic feet divide by 1728.

Normally they range from .1 to .25.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic