icon

MTX amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DjRDifacs 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2003 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
Does anybody know if the new thunder mtx amps are any good? They've seemed to kick down the price...
thank
russ
flaneledholes 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2003 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
From what I understand, mtx makes good products, I have their thunder8000 subs, and all I can say is wow on the spl... They do seem to fail on the sq, but still do ok at sq... Their amps should be just as good.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2003 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  

MTX amps and subs are very good.  In my opinion, the only exception to this has been the Blue thunder classics, and the thunder 3000s.  Both models are from a few years ago though.

The amp pricing might have just gone down because they had to keep up with the competition.  MTX stuff often seems to me to be overpriced so maybe they're finally realizing this and lowering their prices. 

Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 6:43 AM / IP Logged  
lol esmith, which Blue Thunder amps disappointed you?
MTX has made great amps for a long time, and they really havent declined in quality...their subs are a different story...some of their subs have sounded OK in the past, but other than the RFL they dont really have any subs that get loud...
sorry to contradict you flanel, but I have owned many many MTX subs over the past years...I warrantied over 34 15"s in a one year period...I started with 5000s and ended with 6000s...did some things in competitions that people said I couldnt do, but just the same, they arent really SPL subs...so then I bought 8000s and had to return them in a week after several different box designs proved the 8000s to be absolute failures in the SPL department...with 1700W to a pair of 12s you would think they should get reasonably loud...not a chance...
anyways, DjRD, if you want to buy their amps, go ahead...you wont be let down...if you want subs, look elsewhere...you will thank me for it...
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  

sorry I was referring to the "Blue Thunder Classic" subs.  They were the ones that were all black except for the dustcap.  They looked nothing like the Blue Thunder Legends or Extremes, which both were grey with blue lettering; they certainly didn't sound like them either.

Did they ever make a Blue Thunder Legend amp?  I know they made Extreme amps and I will admit those were some very NICE amps.

flaneledholes 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
Big Purds wrote:
lol esmith, which Blue Thunder amps disappointed you?
MTX has made great amps for a long time, and they really havent declined in quality...their subs are a different story...some of their subs have sounded OK in the past, but other than the RFL they dont really have any subs that get loud...
sorry to contradict you flanel, but I have owned many many MTX subs over the past years...I warrantied over 34 15"s in a one year period...I started with 5000s and ended with 6000s...did some things in competitions that people said I couldnt do, but just the same, they arent really SPL subs...so then I bought 8000s and had to return them in a week after several different box designs proved the 8000s to be absolute failures in the SPL department...with 1700W to a pair of 12s you would think they should get reasonably loud...not a chance...
anyways, DjRD, if you want to buy their amps, go ahead...you wont be let down...if you want subs, look elsewhere...you will thank me for it...
It is ok, you say tomatoe I say tamato!
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
I dont recall a Blue Thunder Legend, but that doesnt necessarily mean they didnt exist...up here in CanookVille we havent always been privy to the same products as you yanks have had, and back then not many of us had conceived the power of the internet so it was hard to find info on all of these things...
and flanel, you say "loud", I say "sit in my car with My Stroker 18 tearing away at your eardrums and you will then know what loud is about..." (and the stroker isnt even really loud...)
the 8000s perform at a mediocre level at best...I have owned enough audio equipment in my time to be a fair judge of most equipment these days, and unfortunately, the 8000s dont cut it in most categories...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic