icon

analog vs data

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 26, 2010 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
Haha, I would argue that PWM is 100% digital. Only two states that are only separated by time. My Atmel microcontrollers have 0 analog outputs, but have PWM outputs.   analog vs data - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
Any I would say your head light controls are definitely digital!!!! Unless, of course, you have a dimmer on them.
I understand where you are coming from with the statement that all transmissions are analog and I can appreciate that, but if ALL transmissions are analog what would you call a true analog output (like a 0-10vdc or 4.20mA signal)? There would have to a more precise name to refer to them as, instead of just analog signals!
OK Howie, I'm done!!!!!!!
Kevin Pierson
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2010 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
Must say it's been an enjoyable if pointless mind exercise. Oh winter's here and I just spent an hour outside sorting out the awful body control unit that controls the tailgate window on a Landrover Freelander, I couldn't take more than 15 minutes out there.
I wish a Stauxnet would hit some the processors they put on cars.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2010 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
It must be my uPC etc experience.
Maybe I need to think of binary instead of digital, and digital as simply "discrete" analog quantities.
I therefore retract what I wrote about Boole - digital was around long before him.
LOL - the American Indian beat AT&T to digital by how many centuries? (Funny how we keep learning how far we lag!)
But I was talking quantities - 12V, 5V, -15V etc are all analog quantities.
It is all digital encoding and representation - there is no "bit" quantity per se - we do not send "bits" thru a wire.
But yeah - a modem is considered digital even though its transmission works entirely on multiple frequencies.
I'd better get back to my digital coffee maker.
phil6710 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2010 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
Well thank you every one for all the input on this topic. I have learned alot about the true definition of analog and digital. But,, I still am looking for the answer to my question. I know I asked about analog vrs data. The reason why I term this like this because it is how it is decribe at some of the shops I work at. Although It may not be correct terminology. The question is should a hard wired install using relay resistors x-tra key, ect cost the same or less or more than an install using a high end data module like a AL CA DL by idatalink?  For an example today I installed an r/s w/keyless in a 2003 Infinity G35. The customer sacrafised a key for the install. So I had to wire up the door lock and dissarm at the module in the door. It was alot of extra labor espesaly considering the door jam boot has a molex conector which you have to wire through. Alota extra work, had I used a data module I could have saved this step. But I only needed the r/s unit and one relay to so this job,,which is about $40. Adding a module would atleast double the price of parts for the install, but it would be quicker to do.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 26, 2010 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
If it makes you feel any better that is the only way to do a G35 and retain the window function that the OEM remote has. I haven't seen a module yet that will allow window control but running the door lock wires in to the doors will allow both up and down with no extra parts (on many alarms).
I would definitely charge extra for the labor of going in to a door like that - that isn't fun and there is quite a bit of liability, especially if you don't seal the hole up completely. If any water gets through the molex it'll land on the BCM and ruin it!
Kevin Pierson
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  
It's really all back to knowledge and experience.
I know that in many places I sub to there is separation between the customer and myself with the shop staff in between. They are trying to do a deal in times of recession and will bend over on the labour charges hitting you and me in the pocket.
TAKE CONTROL. Because if you don't you will be shafted. Educate the staff, if possible have a word with the customer, especially if you know the issues with that vehicle, such as the G35, or VW hatches where the hatch light switch always seems to fail.
Point out the options and the fact that they will cost more, get the customer's agreement, preferably in writing on a pre-install vehicle check list.
Find out as much about the vehicle as you can, Mitchells, A/Vox, Directwire etc.before you start.
Knowledge of what's involved is your financial power.
You are not moving a box over a sales counter.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic