icon

suggest a remote starter for subaru

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2010 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
I'm looking to add a remote starter to a 2005 Subaru Outback. I've done lots of audio installs & a few alarms but I know nothing about remote starter brands, options or possibilities. I'm thinking I'll have a pro do the install, meanwhile I need help with finding the right pieces.
So what brand of remote starters do you like? A few factors -
Transponder key - suggest a good bypass that doesn't keep my key? Does a dealer have to program?
I have an existing negative trigger linked to the key fob that isn't being used (used to unlock the trunk but I wired it in with the doors), I'd like to simply use that output to control the remote starter.
Auto transmission
TIA.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2010 at 5:33 AM / IP Logged  

If access to a dealer scan tool is no problem, this is a "no key required" immobilizer bypass solution :  https://ifar.ca/en/products/alpha/pats-subaru/   Other than that, it is a "key in the box" situation.

What you are looking to install is an "add on remote starter".  It relies on a signal from the car invoked by the factory FOB's.  Typically something like 3 locks commands in a row.  Because the cost isn't all that much different, I usually install remote starters with keyless entry.  Two main reasons for this.  The range of the factory FOBs is not too good.  Secondly, some cars ( Honda and Toyota come to mind ) disable the factory FOBs lock/unlock while the engine is running.   The car will remote start but you will have to use the key to open the door...   Check your Subaru to see if the factory FOBs still work while the car is running.  With cars that have seperate key and FOB, most customers don't mind leaving the Factory FOB at home and using the new remote starter FOBs.

If you are going to have it installed, check to see if the installer has a preference.  He may not feel comfortable installing a brand he is not familiar with. 

Any major brand is good.  For an application like yours, my preference would be Ultra Start.  Either the 1155TL add-on or the 1272 XR-Pro for R/S w/Keyless.  Here is a link to their WEB site for more info :  http://www.ultrastarters.com/products.html    

Soldering is fun!
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2010 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
Excellent Kreg, thanks for the insight.
So a dealer scan tool, is that something I can expect a typical car audio shop to have or are we talking dealer visit here?
My car does disable the key fob lock/unlock once running so I'll think about maybe doing an all in one system rather than an add on.
If I were to walk into a shop & just buy the avg $250 remote start kit (the $250 "installed" package), what would I realistically expect it to cost once they tack on all those back-end costs like relays, bypasses, $12 zip-ties, etc?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2010 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  

Pretty much dealer only for the scan tool.  Some install shops have an arrangement with the local Subaru dealer for that service.

If your car turns off the Factory FOBs while it is running, the the R/S with keyless is the way to go.  Better range and new, easy to replace & program FOBs. 

The Fortin bypass & dealer programming can cost more that a spare programmed valet key.  A "key in the box" bypass module costs about $15 plus the spare key.

It is a pretty basic install.  If you have a Digital Multi Meter, can remove some trim panels, and can solder you could DIY.  A decent one way remote start with keyless entry, a "key in the box" bypass and a spare key is all you need.  ( example : Ultra Start U1272 XR-Pro $55, DEI 556U bypass $15 and the spare key $? )  If you wanted the remote start to pop the hatch, you would need one 30/40A SPDT relay and an inline fuse holder with 10 A fuse.  Here is a diagram from Bulldog Security :  http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/diagrams/extrainfo/diagrams/14301_OUTBACK_5-WIRE%20TRUNK%20RELEASE%20DIAGRAM.pdf  The top one, controlled by a (-) Trunk release output would be correct for the U1272 R/S system.

Really can't say what the going "installed" price would be.  Depends on the system used, the spare key / scan tool bypass, your geographical region, the time of the year...   The local shop installed price should include a lifetime warranty.    

Here is a link to the Ultra Start WEB site.   http://www.ultrastarters.com/products_pro.html  You can download an install guide and see if it is something you felt comfortable with. 

Soldering is fun!
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2010 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
So it sounds like using the keyed-bypass with my valet key is the route to go.
I have no problem with installing & can surely figure this out but I'm a butt-connector man, can't solder to save my life :)
What spooks me tho is possibilities like multiple two-wire ign+ triggers off the key cylinder molex requiring diodes & relays or tapping into the tach, that kinda of crap that's easy to muss up. I'm having visions of a rat's-nest of primary wire & connectors all zipped to the steering column...
And in fact when I look at the list of programmable features on that link for the Ultra kit I'm thinking I'd much rather pay someone who's experienced. So some things I'd expect to see -
Hood pin
brake pedal kill
flash parking lites when starting
12 min timer or so
tach detection / no-grind etc.
maybe auto-lock doors
And if throwing $100 at this problem saves me from having to do all that it's worth it. What really irks me is having been an installer I know a SPDT costs all of $4 & takes 10 min to wire up but then having the shop charge $25 in parts & $40 in labor. Arg. Whatever, arguing with myself now.
Thanks for your feedback on this, I'll make a decision shortly.
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2010 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, between the 1172 & the 1272, which do you like better?
1172 1272
Cos, uh, call me vain but I like the 1172's FOB, less crap to carry in my pocket.
Or maybe a better question is what's the difference between a 1-button remote vs the regular remote?
suggest a remote starter for subaru -- posted image.
or
suggest a remote starter for subaru -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic