icon

vw, new sciroco, parrot bluetooth kit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2010 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
Excuse the spelling if it's wrong but I'll be fitting a Parrot style BT kit to a new one on Saturday. This has the Dyne Audio system.
My question is does this have low level outputs to the amp or speaker level?
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2010 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
Howie,
Although I can't comment on the newer VW, I have swapped an aftermarket headunit into an '07 Passat that had the Dynaudio system. Wired in using speaker outputs of the aftermarket head, worked perfect. And then installed the OEM unit into a '06 or '07 Jetta which had a basic system (no amplifier) which also worked fine.
I guess one could do a continuity/resistance check on the wiring into the car to determine if an amp or speaker is configured. An AC voltage check on the outputs of the radio probably wouldn't hurt either.
Also thinking the VW radio might have a radio mute input, maybe even phone audio input.
Mark
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2010 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Mark. This is a Bury Kit made by Hirschmann, The irony is that VW UK fit them as a dealer option but don't even ask what they charge!
All the Euro kits, Parrot etc come with ISO plugs, I've got an adaptor lead for ISO to Quadlock so hopefully this will do. If not ALL German market sets have a low level input, speaker + speaker - and mute, I know I can rig something, there's a 2.5mm jack socket on the Bury kit, if the set has terminal listings on it, I'm OK as an alternative. I did an 08 Saab the other week, believe it or not it was a Fujitsu head unit (a Toyota head unit in a Euro GM?) but it was labelled. So easy!
Incidentally, my best mate has an 06 335 with factory BT. The latest phones with BT v.2.5 and up won't pair. We contacted BMW they want 2 hrs. to do a software update on the factory audio, over $300! Yes I fitted a Parrot!
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2010 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
A friend of mine...well his wife had an '08 X5. BMW has(d) a listing of phones that were certified to pair with said vehicle. Apparently her Blackberry wasn't on the list...caused all sorts of issues with the vehicle, transmission controls particularly when a was paired without previous knowledge. Ended up installing a Parrot 3200, wired in after the amp...ugh, of course.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
The 3200 costs me about $120 inc. tax about 25 mins. to install in a 1 or 3 Series and I've got the pretty pictures to prove it, even down to where I ran off the constant and ACC. No contest!
Don't you mean 3100?
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2010 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
Well 3200** , I know there's a suffix after the number part, and it was installed two plus years ago. Might be discontinued now.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2010 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe 3200 was the US part number. Do the US Parrots come without ISO in and out plugs? And we would like to know why the car manufacturers over here started to change over to quadplugs about 10 years ago just to confuse the issue.
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2010 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, they have ISO ends on the cables. Some of the aftermarket cable offerings plug directly into the "blue box" eliminating most of the bulk of wiring and connectors.
So if and when you need to use an adapter cable, you definitely won't have room behind the radio...at least to make it seat back into the dash properly.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2010 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
Ah, all Golf/Jetta what a bloody nightmare, right hand drive E46 BMW, I've ended up pulling the heater controls out from underneath, the vent from on top, then the whole plastic sub-assembly just to re-route the loom!
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Ween, you were absolutely right, went in like a dream speaker level outputs so no issues. Out of interest this kit like Parrot also has line outputs, whilst the original loom wasn't the adaptor loom was fully cable populated, I could have gone to the terminals incidentally marked on the head unit for speaker +, speaker - and mute.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic