icon

4awg split terminal crimping? pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alp8040 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2010 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, I asked on another thread but I decided to start my own thread with a question about crimping a 4AWG split terminal.
Below are the Xscorpion split terminals I have. What is the consensus on crimping these type of terminals? Best way to crimp? Should a 4AWG crimping sleeve be used along with adhesive shrink tubing? Should I just go to an audio install bay and ask to use their crimpers?
I frequently wash down my engine bay so it is exposed to water often.
4awg split terminal crimping? pics - Last Post -- posted image.
4awg split terminal crimping? pics - Last Post -- posted image.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2010 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
I find it interesting that such a large cable goes through such a small cross-sectional area to its termination, & probably being of lesser conduction than the copper cable.
Not that heat is necessarily a problem - the bolt/screw & cable should conduct it away - unless the bolt connection is bad and itself the source of heat!
Surely thicker eyelets are available?
(Or am I too fussy thinking that "so much trouble" is compromised by such trivia? I haven't estimated resistances...)
PS - plus the limited surface-area contact if the crimp sleeve to the cable - unless maybe soldered as well.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2010 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
um... use regular crimpers. the split in the ring terminals makes them easy to crimp by hand with regular crimpers. you CAN use a vice or maybe even a hammer if you want. there is no wrong way to crimp a terminal so long as the connection is tight. if you want to make the effort to solder it then that's always a plus but not necessary. if you decide to solder it too then i would use a pencil torch and a whole lot of solder, a regular soldering iron will take forever on such a large gauge wire. and any protection from the elements that you can give it is always better than none.
alp8040 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2010 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
I find it interesting that such a large cable goes through such a small cross-sectional area to its termination, & probably being of lesser conduction than the copper cable.
Not that heat is necessarily a problem - the bolt/screw & cable should conduct it away - unless the bolt connection is bad and itself the source of heat!
Surely thicker eyelets are available?
(Or am I too fussy thinking that "so much trouble" is compromised by such trivia? I haven't estimated resistances...)
PS - plus the limited surface-area contact if the crimp sleeve to the cable - unless maybe soldered as well.
Actual 4AWG copper wire is a bit smaller than the inner diameter of the terminal, it's just the plastic jacket that looks big.
I've seen the crimp sleeves sold by IDEAL at HOME DEPOT and LOWES, just wondering if they would make any difference in insuring better contact. I also plan on soldering as well after being crimped.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 29, 2010 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
Crimp them however you like and then use a small torch and some solder. Then you will be sure you have a good connection.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic