icon

03 grand cherokee custom ipod integration

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeffro108 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2010 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  

I've got a wile idea that I think just might work for a custom solution to adding an ipod input to my customized system in my jeep grand cherokee.  What I've done so far is spliced into the factory harness input adapters so that I was able to hook up my amplifiers.  What I am thinking about doing is placing a switch in front of teh first amplifier where I can modulate between input 1 and input 2.  The only thing I have found is a video selector unit from Jensen model number KSW41.  I have ordered and recieved this unit, but I have some questions before I start the install.

Basically I have 2 amplifiers under the backseats with a powerblock providing them power.  The RCA's are spliced into the factory wireharness with a high to low level converter.  What I'd like to do is hook the switch up here so that either the headunit goes to the amps through input 1 or the ipod which will be hooked up via rca to stereo routed up to the center console and plugged into input 2.  Link to the switch that I have: 

http://www.amazon.com/Jensen-Mobile-Multi-Source-Selector-Switch/dp/B0009XFXNC

My questions:

The unit says that it powers on through video.  I don;t plan on using any video, simply the audio portion of the switch....how can I rig it to turn on?

It came with a mini plastic plug with a black and a red wire.  Can I simply attach the red to the powerblock and the black to the common ground?

Is there anything that I am not thinking of?  I think this is a great custom solution for me given teh nature of my setup.  Please let me know if I'm missing anything obvious.

jeffro108 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2010 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
Have I posted in the wrong area?  I thought I would get a quick response from at least one person.  I'm no electrical engineer, but I'm guessing we have a few on here that can easily address this.  Please let me know as I want to finish the install this weekend.  Thanks in advance!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2010 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
I know nothing about that Jensen switch.  Try contacting their technical support.
Support the12volt.com
awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2010 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
You don't need a video switch if all you want to do is switch audio. The other issue you may run into is controlling volume from the ipod, your gains might be high enough for the inputs from the line-out converter buy may be too low for the ipod input or vice-versa.
Have you tried hooking your ipod up to see how it works when hooked directly into the amp? Use your headphone to RCA cable and try that first, make sure you are happy with the volume control.
Do you want an auto-switch with the ipod being the "master" or would you rather just have a selector switch on the dash somewhere to switch between head unit and ipod?
As far as "power on through video" I am guessing that it is in standby until it receives a video signal, as its remote turn on. I imagine you should be able to provide a low voltage to the video input(s)to wake it up but somebody else will have to comment on that, I have no experience in that area.
jeffro108 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2010 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks so much!  I understand that I don;t need teh video part of the switch, but this was really the only switch I could find with a remote control.  Essentially I will be able to control the source from the driver's seat using the corded remote control.  It can handle up to 4 sources, but I am really just interested in 2 at teh moment.  The factory head unit and then the ipod.  I like the idea of trying the ipod out first....not sure how I could have overlooked that!!

I guess my biggest question still remains, how teh heck to power on teh switch.  Can I just rig a remote turn on wire coming off one of the amps into the video input to wake it up?

Also, in terms of powering the unit, I should be fine hooking the red to the distribution block and the black wire to the common ground?

Sorry for all of the questions and this is certainly not my first rodeo, but trying to rig this thing the way I am is bringing up lots of questions...particularly because I am not at all interested in mobile video and as a result don't really understand how this switch is powered on, etc.

simplyfalling 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2010 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

This sounds like alot of unneccesary trouble....  PXDX and pxhch3 from online car stereo are $60. 

awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2010 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
For powering the unit yes, you can power it off of your amp distribution blocks. Be sure to fuse the power wire accordingly if it doesn't already have a in-line fuse built into the positive wire.
Have you tried contacting Jensen about the switch? It might be something as simple as "Unit powers on when 500mV is present on any video input" If you don't have any luck contacting Jensen and getting an answer, then you can also try to determine this yourself. Power up the unit and hook a few inputs up to it to see if you can get it to switch inputs. Once you have confirmed the switch is working as intended, you can measure the voltage on the Video RCAs so you know what it needs to turn it on. Assuming it is just a voltage, then you can achieve the desired voltage using a resistor inline of a remote turn on lead.
Leading to the next question, what did you use for your remote turn on lead since you have the factory head unit?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic