viper 5301 shuts down prematurely

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
abadv8 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2010 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
Good morning,
I have a Viper 5301 installed in a 2006 Chevy Silverado / Duramax diesel. My problem is that the remote start shuts down, at random time intervals, while the truck is warming up. As an example, this morning it was about 10 degrees Fahrenheit outside. The remote start sequence initiated and the truck went into high idle mode (warm up mode, sounds like a jet engine during takeoff). After about five minutes, the truck shut down. The run time is set for 20 minutes, so it didn't shut down on time.
In addition, after the truck shuts down it restarts and shuts down three times. It starts, runs for 3-5 seconds and shuts down. Is there something obvious that might be causing this?
I recall hooking up the tach wire when I did the install, but I cannot remember if the unit is set to monitor the tach wire or voltage sensing. Would the high speed idle trip the unit off on some sort of engine overspeed fault? If that was the case, would it try to restart?
Thanks,
Sean
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2010 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
Did you install the 5301 ?  If so, what kind of bypass did you use?  Stick a key in the ignition switch, do not turn the key, try to remote start the truck. Does it stay running??
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
abadv8 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2010 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
I did install this myself.
I used an iDatalink ADS-DLSL-GM, wire to wire.
The security light does not turn on when remote starting, and if the bypass is not programmed the truck runs for about 1 second before shutting down and illuminating the security light. Additionally, I did run through the setup on the bypass and programmed it as per the instructions. So, I don't think its the Passkey system.
My guess is that because the desels use an elevated idle system, either the rise in voltage or the increased tach signal rate is causing problems.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 02, 2010 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  

PL II system.... sliding the key in will tell you nothing.....

sounds like a tach issue...... program for V-tach or voltage sense 4 sec crank..........   works for me all the time

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 02, 2010 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  

I believe that a tach / voltage fault is the ONLY thing that will cause the unit to restart.

It is very possible that your drop in idle is causing the problem.  I would try to relearn the tach when the truck is already warm (so learn the low idle, not the high idle).  As long as the truck idles above the min setpoint it will continue to run.

Kevin Pierson
abadv8 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2010 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
That makes sense. Let me throw another curve at you:
It shuts down in the midst of the elevated idle. When the truck comes down off of elevated idle, you can hear it "spooling down"... I believe it is opening the pre-rotation vanes on the variable geometry turbo.
Either way, I need to get this figured out, as shutting down mid swing like is can cause coking of the oil passages in the turbo charger. I'll play with the tach sense tonight.
Thanks
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2010 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
check shutdown diagnostics. when it shuts down early press and hold your valet button, turn the key on then back off while still holding the button, then relase button and push and release once more. your LED will flash a few times. theres a chart on page 63 of the install manual that tells you what the number of flashes means. once you narrow it down you know what to fix without trying things til you find  the issue
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2010 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
454t my man.
or i usually turn engine checking off or vtach and crank up the crank time
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
abadv8 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2010 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
I screwed around with the engine checking modes. I will just disable engine checking... if there was actually a runaway engine situation, turning the ignition off wouldn't help (diesels tend to run just fine on their own lube oil). I'm really not worried about the ignition staying on while the engine is off, as 20 minutes isn't going to ruin anything.
Thanks for the help guys.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic