icon

power limit at 12.5 13.5v?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ansalon72 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2010 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 1996 Audi A4 Quattro with a completely stock electrical system, other than a yellow battery (working on 0awg big three). My amps are JL Audio 300/4, 1000/1 pushing  Zapco's and Focal's, and a 12W7 V3 respectively.

I have my 1000/1 set at "0", as I am unable to turn it up without watching my voltage meter drop. I already know I need a H. O. alternator.  Times are tough though.

Is there an alternate (yet equal) power source out there that doesn't have to operate at 14.4V? Or is it just a fact of life that when I go over a certain amount of watts, like my current 1,300 RMS, it becomes mandatory that I upgrade my whole electrical system? I have a pretty good idea what the answer is, I just need to hear it from someone who knows a heck of a lot more than me. Thank you. 

Fine the employers.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 07, 2010 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
That 1000/1 is a power hungry beast.  Try wiring it into a higher ohm load.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2010 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
TECHNICALLY, any additional accessory load is already needing an upgrade in the alternator arena. OEMs don't put TOO much more alternator in any car than is absolutely necessary to run the car... Why would they?
So there's that...
Secondly, I guess I don't really understand your "Is there an alternate (yet equal) power source out there that doesn't have to operate at 14.4V?" question. If you have 1300WRMS you need (as much as) 2600W to make it happen. If you have a 14V input voltage, you require 181A to make that happen. If you have 120V, you need 22A to make it happen... Please further clarify your question?
ansalon72 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2010 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I still have a heck of a lot to learn so go easy.

Haem; to clarify, I was wondering if there was any other amplifiers that would perform as well as the JL without me having to upgrade my alternator. After further research, I'm almost positive the answer is no. And since I'm not willing to give up my amp, (I want true performance, not inflated claims) I guess I'll have to upgrade the alt. I was simply trying to cut down on cost, but it looks like when you reach a certain point  that's not an option.   Also, I don't really understand anything about the corellation between amps and volts. Can you throw me a link? I'll definitely do my own research, but every little bit helps.

I hope that clarifies, and I appreciate the answers. What I really appreciate is getting real answers without someone trying to hit on me to buy their product! :)

Fine the employers.
ansalon72 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2010 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
I am an idiot: My sub is a svc 3ohm, and I believe the amp "sees" 4 ohms, right? I only have one. But isn't the sub actually a 6ohm wired down to a single 3? Would it be possible for me to rewire? I already know I'm going to have to upgrade my alternator, but I'd still like to know.   Thank you.
Fine the employers.
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2010 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, ok, lets not get complicated . . .
You want to know it there is a "magical" amp that can generate 1000W RMS like the JL audio while only feeding it the 90amps that your stock alternator puts out?
The answer is simply: NO
You cannot break the laws of physics. LOL
We see this all the time... If i get 2500watt amp i can get 2500 RMS! This is simply NOT true.
V=I*R (Voltage = Amperage * Resistance.)
Simply ohms law rules. Can't break them.
Look at what size fuses are on the amp, Add them all up.
DOUBLE that number and that should be the amount your alternator needs to put out.
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2010 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
Check out This Website it has a lot of info on basics and advance stuff.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2010 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  

Your woofer is SVC, there is no way to rewire it.  I'm afraid that the system you list is going to overload your system no matter what you do.  I recommend not running it until you have upgraded your alternator to at least 200 amps and more like 300, and upgrade the big 3 to support it.  Otherwise it's going to simply be an exercise in futility.

Your situation is common among the DIY crowd.  People forget to budget in proper power sources, wiring and harness kits.  Falling in love with the gear and spending all your money on it then having to wait to run it until you can afford to power it is fairly common. 

Support the12volt.com
ansalon72 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2010 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info guys. Wishful thinking and overcomplicating on my part.

As far as waiting to run the 1k, no problem. It's taken me quite alot of waiting and trading up just to aquire what little I have. Lots of research too. But I only did a small part of the research I should have done, and I'm just now seeing that. You're right  "DY", I was so focused on the right equipment that I didn't really consider the rest until I watched my voltmeter dip like a carrot in ranch. So I'll just turn the 300/4 into a 3 channel and bide my time.

Any moderately priced 300A alternators out there?

Fine the employers.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2010 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
"...dip like a carrot in ranch..." I love that! LOL
eBay links don't work here, but I'd suggest eBay.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic