icon

how to wire for camera

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rt4x4 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2010 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  

I have a kenwood dnx9140 with a backup camera wired to activate in reverse, is there a way to  also have it activate while  driving with a momentary switch while the vehicle is moving forward.

I found the answer in another tread thanks

oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2010 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
The best is probably to power the camera via a relay, plus 2 diodes.
Feed both the +12V from the Rev Switch via a diode and your +12V "on" switch via a diode to #86 of the relay. (Hence the relay will be on when in Rev OR the switch is on.)
Any 1N400x diodes will do.
bhays 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2010 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
Would there be any harm in just having the camera powered at all times the head unit is powered? Most head units turn to the camera from a signal from the reverse light power not when they sense a signal from the camera, correct?
My JVC KD-AVX77 with camera is just wired so the camera is on at all times the ignition is on. When the vehicle is shifted into reverse the head unit switches to the camera or I can choose AV IN and see the camera when driving.
Do the cameras wear out quickly if powered all the time, or something else I am missing?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic