icon

5000 watt subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lesterjustin29 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2010 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
i have 2 12s thats 5000 watts peak combined and 2500 watts continous, a 20 farad cap, and 0 gauge wiring... im lookin to purchase a 5000 watt amp and the power ratings are i think missing some info about the rms watts.. i plan to wire the subs down to one ohm.. and the amp info says 5000 watts peak power at one ohm and 2250 watts rms at 4ohms and it has nothin else so is the rms at 4ohms the most contious power its gonna put out no matter what load it has on it.. and if it is like that would my subs would be ok bein pushed to 5000 watts peak
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2010 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
EXACTLY what subs have you got and EXACTLY what amplifier are you considering? You don't get an amp with RMS power that matches the peak power rating of your woofers. You are just asking for trouble.
lesterjustin29 
Member spacespace
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2010 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
They should be called 24" 5000W. They are 1250W RMS each. (4 Ohm dual coil)
As too the amp - I love this sort of crap.
Most sites and the owners manual says
MAX Power Output @ 1 Ohm: 5000 Watt x 1-Channel
MAX Power Output @ 2 Ohm: 3500 Watt x 1-Channel
RMS Power @ 4 Ohm: 2250 Watt x 1-Channel
I think only one site gets the latter correct, namely:
Max power @ 4-Ohm: 2250w x 1
Dacdes ago I would have assumed RMS to be half-pak, ie 2500W, 1750W & 1125W (at 1, 2, 4 Ohms).
But since it only has 4 x 30A = 1728W input @ 14.4V, I'd assume a maximum of 1250W RMS at 1 Ohm.
They make no suggestion about mounting any stiffening cap close to the amplifiers - even for 2 amps it is shown battery side of the distro block....
Don't tell me Boss sell stiffening caps too?
I hate companies that rip off their customers.
lesterjustin29 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2010 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
so would this amp be ok for my subs?? even if the amp was turned up all tha way up with a load of 1ohm
lesterjustin29 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2010 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
an yea they do sell caps... thats who makes the 20 farad cap i have...
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2010 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
Hence my sarcasm....
They sell caps to make money.
They can't get their specs right, nor do they bother even explaining where to place a cap for best effectiveness.
Not that they'd tell you to look elsewhere (like here) for info on how caps are generally either bling else money spinners. In very few situations are they an economical and effective solution.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2010 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
NEITHER of those products are even CLOSE to honest ratings. Not. Even. Close. They are so highly optimistic, that if you were to look up the word optimistic in the dictionary, that's the picture you'd see following the definition.
But hey... If you think you can build a 5kW sub system for under $400.00, knock yourself out, just don't even begin to think that you have a 5kW subwoofer system. You won't. If you get a real-world 1.5kW, I'd be amazed.
Now... Those woofers look to be made specifically for that amplifier. Their definitely inflated "power ratings" appear to be right in line with the guaranteed exaggerated "power output" capability of the amplifier. Go for it.
One last thing... Read the forum rules, and most specifically, the one telling you that eBay links will not work. Should've done that before you signed up, right?
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2010 at 3:36 AM / IP Logged  
What annoys me is the "[b/]RMS Power @ 4 Ohm: 2250 Watt x 1-Channel" even when its 4x30A = 120A fuses means max (say) 14.4x132=1900W INPUT, but nominally say 120x.8x13.8V = 1325W.
How do either of those equate to >2kW OUTPUT?
Yet the Evolution amp in will this amp work? has exactly the same "RMS" typo for 4Ohms.
RMS is RMS. It cannot be fudged unlike "peak" etc.
mrarff 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a "Back to the Future" sequel. How many jig-a-watts is that thing gonna be puttin' out? If it works will ya get me some of them wedge style speakers? I wanna put 'em on my dash to really get them killer highs.
"That'll get ya 10 in Leavenworth,11 in Twelveworth, or 5 & 10 in Woolworth". Groucho Marx                                                      
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic