head unit too big for dash?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
electricd7 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2010 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I am trying to mount a Kenwood DNX9960 head unit into my 2006 Ford F150 pickup.  The headunit says its a double-din, so I bought the metra double din kit.  The problem is that the opening in the metra kit isn't big enough for the radio sleeve.  Normally I would just slide the sleeve into the kit and install the radio into the sleeve.  On this head unit, however, the sleeve is about 1/4" too big all around to fit in the metra kit.  I am at a loss for how this mounts to my truck.  It comes with a bezel and a flat plastic peice that I guess could be used, but there is no way to secure it in the truck without the mounting kit.  Can anyone shed some light on this for me?  I hope I am just overlooking something obvious.   Thanks!

ED7

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 18, 2010 at 6:06 AM / IP Logged  

The sleeve is not used.  The sides of the kit mount to the side of the deck. 

Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2010 at 6:13 AM / IP Logged  
hi,
you don't use the sleeve that comes with the kenwood. the metra kit has side plates that attach to the head unit. may require a side trip to a hardware store though as the screws provided by kenwood typically aren't long enough. you'll need M5 x .8mm no longer than 10 mm. if you can't find metric, 10-32 thread 3/8 of an inch could be substituted. purchase at least six, preferably eight. you may want to use lock washers, serrated tooth type, that will 'bite' into the plastic of the dash kit. also see if you can attach the support stub on the rear of the factory radio, to the kenwood, in the same position. this will support the kenwood unit as it is rather heavy.
mark
mrm1776 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2010 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
If you bought the head-unit new then you should have some ISO screws in the box with it. Use those to make sure you don't damage anything inside of the radio by using too long of a screw.
MECP Basic Installation Tech
Certification ID: CEA195600
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Polk Audio DXi 6500 - front
Rockford Fosgate Power T1693 - rear
Alpine MRP-F300
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine SWR-1242D
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 18, 2010 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
Ween wrote:
hi,
you don't use the sleeve that comes with the kenwood. the metra kit has side plates that attach to the head unit. may require a side trip to a hardware store though as the screws provided by kenwood typically aren't long enough. you'll need M5 x .8mm no longer than 10 mm. \
mrm1776 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2010 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
Ween wrote:
hi,
you don't use the sleeve that comes with the kenwood. the metra kit has side plates that attach to the head unit. may require a side trip to a hardware store though as the screws provided by kenwood typically aren't long enough. you'll need M5 x .8mm no longer than 10 mm. \

I've never had an issue with the Kenwood screws and the DDIN dash kit for that vehicle.

MECP Basic Installation Tech
Certification ID: CEA195600
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Polk Audio DXi 6500 - front
Rockford Fosgate Power T1693 - rear
Alpine MRP-F300
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine SWR-1242D
electricd7 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2010 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the advice.  Yea the ISO screws are too short to go in the side plates from the mounting kit and into the kenwood.  Need about 2-3 extra threads or countersink the plastic side plates.  No just to figure out exactly where to mount these side plates to get the head unit flush mounted with my dash.  I am guessing this is generally a guess/check/and revise method?
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2010 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
wire up the unit and power it up. after going through the initial settings, you can access the display menu. here you'll be able adjust the angle of the display...set it flat. now power down the unit, and attach your dash kit. you'll probably line up one side plate, hook the face portion of the kit on, and the other side plate. line up the face portion of the kit so there is an equal gap between it and the nose of the radio, as well as flush with the kit. this will allow the fold down of the face to operate smoothly. the slots in the side plate should line up with threaded holes in the radio, try to get three screws minimum in each side.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic