icon

head unit in 07 ram

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmannieus 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2010 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I registered on the forum because my searches didn't help me out. I am installing a new Clarion head unit in my brother in law's 2007 Ram 1500. I have the adapter harness for the factory wiring harness, but there are 2 separate plugs that the factory cd player has. The adapter harness plugs into the larger of the two and leaves the small one hanging.
The problem is I wired up the Clarion harness and adapter harness and the new head unit is getting no power. Everything is right according to the diagrams Crutchfield provided, but something is obviously wrong. Can anyone tell me wth the smaller plug is for? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 07 Ram that has that plug? The only wiring stuff I found on here was for 06 and 07 Rams for the larger plug.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2010 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
hi,
the smaller harness is usually for satellite radio or rear seat entertainment options. is the factory system the base level or infinity system? that will determine which interface/adapter harness you'd need to use.
mark
jmannieus 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2010 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
It is just the base system. But, we do want to retain satellite radio. Do I need to tap a 12v source from the fuse panel?
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2010 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
you should be able to get a 12volt switched source from the cigarette lighter..not the power socket. don't think you'll be able to retain satellite radio easily though. you can use the satellite antenna with an aftermarket receiver.
mrm1776 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2010 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  

I'd recommend getting the harness XSVI-6502-NAV... You can also get the XSVI-6502... it just won't have the NAV wires built into it. It has a module that will give you switched power for the radio. I'm not so sure about the cigarette lighter in these trucks being accessory, but they might be. I've always just used the 6502.

You won't be able to retain factory satellite in this vehicle since I think the tuner is actually built into the radio itself. I believe that the factory satellite antenna connects directly into the factory H/U. Get the Sirius SCC1 and the proper transponder module and you'll be set.

If you already have the 6502... then it is possible that the module is bad. It wouldn't be the first module that I've seen be DOA.

MECP Basic Installation Tech
Certification ID: CEA195600
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Polk Audio DXi 6500 - front
Rockford Fosgate Power T1693 - rear
Alpine MRP-F300
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine SWR-1242D
agraves1 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2010 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
I have seen plenty of those things arrive DOA, as well. If it is dead then than it won't give you the switched power like mrm said. So of course it wont turn on.
The absolute easiest way to figure out what is wrong is to go by a digital multimeter. The most useful tool when installing and troubleshooting car audio.
MECP Advanced
Make your life easier and buy a DMM.
jmannieus 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2010 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
mrm1776 wrote:

I'd recommend getting the harness XSVI-6502-NAV... You can also get the XSVI-6502... it just won't have the NAV wires built into it. It has a module that will give you switched power for the radio. I'm not so sure about the cigarette lighter in these trucks being accessory, but they might be. I've always just used the 6502.

You won't be able to retain factory satellite in this vehicle since I think the tuner is actually built into the radio itself. I believe that the factory satellite antenna connects directly into the factory H/U. Get the Sirius SCC1 and the proper transponder module and you'll be set.

If you already have the 6502... then it is possible that the module is bad. It wouldn't be the first module that I've seen be DOA.

I called Crutchfield and verified that I have the 6502 module and that I do lose the satellite radio capability. I think that is a very stupid design by Dodge, but at least I can plug in the extra satellite radio module I have into the new headunit. Apparently the 6502 module is bad though, I plugged it in and verified voltages, 0 on the yellow power wire and 0 on the red accessory wire. Thanks again for all the help guys, I thought I had gone crazy and wired it up wrong!
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2010 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
if you have no power on the yellow, you won't have power on the red as the XSVI piece uses the yellow to power the red (through a transistor).
check for a blown fuse in the fusebox.
agraves1 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2010 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
You get 0 volts after the interface harness but around 12 from the factory harness? Or the other way around?
First option- bad module
Second option- blown fuse
MECP Advanced
Make your life easier and buy a DMM.
jmannieus 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 4:10 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry it took so long to get back on here and post. Yeah, the Crutchfield tech said to check fuse 11 if I had no power. It was blown, so we replaced it and then we had 12 on yellow and 0 on red. The new unit is in and spliced to the headunit harness. I am waiting to install it this weekend and make sure it works.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic