icon

replacement speaker?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whipped500 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2010 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, I have an '05 Chevy Silverado crew cab with the bose system. I recently found one of my door speakers is blown and from what I am hearing the bose speakers are junk! I believe they are 6 3/4" but I am hearing everyone is replacing with 6 1/2". Can anyone recommend a replacement speaker? I am looking as cheap as I can go without being any less quality than the bose. EBay has some 3-way Kenwood 6 1/2" and some alpine 2-way 6 1/2", both being sold by best buy pretty cheap. Would these be any good? What do you experts suggest? I was leaning toward the 2-way alpine unless you guys suggest others. BTW the truck has the stock separate tweeters and has the sub too if that helps. Thanks in advance!
agraves1 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2010 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
I would replace them with another pair of components. I believe those trucks have the elongated speaker grille, right? If so those are pretty easy to swap out the components while still looking completely factory.
Components have the woofer and tweeter separate. (just in case you didn't know). The alpine type-s 600c's are decent factory replacements and you can get them for not much more than the coaxial two ways I think you were looking at.
whipped500 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2010 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
My tweeters are up by the windshield on the door pillar. If I did my research correctly, there is just a 6 3/4" in that elongated grill.
agraves1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2010 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
Okay you may be right on that, but it is still easy to add components under the grille if it is what I am thinking. Just need a hole saw.
If you would rather not mess with components, the alpine type-s's 2 ways are pretty good. I had them in my old car and sounded good. Not very bass heavy unamped, but you have a sub anyways so you should be okay if you are content with your current bass level.
MECP Advanced
Make your life easier and buy a DMM.
whipped500 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2010 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
I would prefer to stay away from the components for right now, I'm not sure how much longer I am keeping the truck. I would like to save as much money as possible but would love to have a little more bass and all around better sound quality. I am not sold on the alpines if anyone thinks there is something better out there for the money, I just found that the alpines could probably be had for about $20 a set. I'm just not up to date on good brands anymore. Again any help is appreciated!
mrm1776 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2010 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  

Your factory tweets will be fine. So you can just grab a pair of 2-way speakers and thrown them in.

Although if you DID find a good deal on components and wanted to put them in, you could do so without a hole saw. Just remove the tweeters from the pillar and hot-glue the a/m tweeters in behind there. That way you can retain a stock look.

MECP Basic Installation Tech
Certification ID: CEA195600
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Polk Audio DXi 6500 - front
Rockford Fosgate Power T1693 - rear
Alpine MRP-F300
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine SWR-1242D
whipped500 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
Do you recommend any inexpensive brands that will be a little better than the stock bose? I am only seeing alpine, kenwood and pioneer cheap right now. Just looking to replace stock, nothing special, but better than the bose would be nice. Thanks
agraves1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2010 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
Most aftermarket are going to be better than factory paper cones. Even if it is a "premium" system. I say most because there are some cheap aftermarke companies that use crappy materials similar to factory.
MECP Advanced
Make your life easier and buy a DMM.
whipped500 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2010 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
I was just informed from a friend that he tried replacing a speaker in a Chevy with an aftermarket speaker and it would not work. He ended up having to buy an oem replacement. He said something to do with the stock amp not allowing the aftermarket speaker to work. Do I have an amp? Any truth to this? Will aftermarket speakers work in my application? Thanks again!
afdanw 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2010 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

Let me satar with: I quit doing this profesionally a few years ago, so things may have changed and i could be wrong, but i doubt it. 

First every answer i have seen seams to be missing the obvious, and i believe everyone is wrong.  I cannot say for sure in an 05 silverado, but in the bast, most bose systems used 1.2 ohm speakers.  ever speaker i have seen recamended was a 4 ohm speaker.  If you increase your resistance by almost 4 times, you will end up cutting your wattage, and therefor volume equally.  so there are really only a few good options.

gut the entire system, replace the deck and all the speakers and bypass the bose amp.  That is the best, but most expensive option.

or choice 2, u are on the right track, just replace that pair of speakers.  But i would go with a speaker with a lower resistance than 4.  I know infinity and JBL make some 6.5's in a 2 ohm.  that is a better option than the other that have been racamended.

Any way this is only true if the bose in your vehicle uses those lower ohm load speakers.  Do a bit of reaserch on that, then make your decision. 

Good luck

If your cousin is such a good installer, and he will install anything for a 6 pack; why are you talking to me?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic