icon

ultra start pro 1272

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ramsesfan13 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2010 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
I've tried some searching, but either I missed it, or it isn't answered. I bought a Ultra Start Pro 1272 with a Fortin Int-sl+. I'm installing it all on a 06 GMC Envoy. My question is, in order to use D2D, the diagram for the Fortin says I need to hook up the Orange wire on the Fortin to the door trigger on the remote start. I have looked and looked at the wiring on the RS and can't figure which wire to connect it to. Is it necessary? I realize the Fortin diagram is a general guideline, and not specific to a particular RS. Thanks for any insight. I installed a RS on my wife's Ford, and it was a nightmare. Found out the bypass was bad. So I'm paranoid this will be, too. I'm really hoping that going the D2D route is as easy it looks.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2010 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  

if you use d2d, all functions should be done via data. so i dont beleive you will need any other wire hookups from the rs to the bypass.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,787
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2010 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  

The newer Ultra Start 1272 ( Firmware 14C and above ) is 1 way D2D compatible with the Fortin bypass modules.  Here is a link to Fortin compatability : https://ifar.ca/en/datalink/ultrastart/1272_series/

For install, follow the Type 2 guide.  Only 4 wires to connect in D2D mode, 2 to the car and 2 to the Ultra Start.  Being as the Ultra Start 1272 is only a remote start with keyless and has no alarm functions, the door trigger output from the Fortin bypass is not necessary.

While the Ultra Start should automatically recognize the Fortin type bypass on power up, it might be

safer to program the Ultra Start for the Fortin type bypass.  Menu 4, Setting 5, Option 1.

Soldering is fun!
ramsesfan13 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2010 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info! I saw the compatibility, and I also have read the install directions, (the unit is on it's way, so I haven't installed it yet.) I saw that all that was connected between Fortin and RS was the data cable, door trigger, (which is now answered), tach, ignition, and the data OBD2. Directions state to connect ignition wire to car. I just use the same wire as the RS? I truly hope that it's this easy of an install. On the other hand, if I have to go with Plan 2, it's still pretty easy, as I just have to connect the wires between the units and not the truck. BTW, thanks for the heads up on the program in menu 4. I missed that. Ohm how do I tell if I have the latest Firmware (14C) on the RS? I looked om the box and paperwork, but got nothing.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,787
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2010 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  

On the back of the Ultra Start brain is a white sticker.  The sticker should list the firmware version.  Usually included with in the box is an owners guide and an install guide.  If the install guide shows the Fortin / idDatalink programming option, you should be good to go.

The Fortin module will handle the bypass function, door locks, factory alarm, trunk release, and parking lights for you.  It will also supply a Tach signal and a door status signal.  The Fortins' Ignition wire can be connected to the Ultra Starts Ignition1 ( Blue ) whioch is then connected to the vehicles Pink Ignition wire.  The Ultra Start will still have to be connected to the vehicles ignition wires, brake, horn and chassis ground.  Additionally the hood safety should be installed and connected.

The vehicle has 2 ignition wires and the Ultra Start comes with the Selectable output ( White wire ) defaulted to IGN2.  The Fortin module is expecting a  (-) Parking Light input, so the Ultra Start parking light jumper should be set to (-).

Soldering is fun!
ramsesfan13 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2010 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
Yep, I already moved the jumper, and the install guide did mention the Fortin and iData. The sticker on the RS Module says F.W. 63B, so I'm assuming that's the Firmware. I also have been doing some "pre-installing", such as getting the hood pin set-up and getting the steering column cover off, etc. I noticed the Selectable IGN2.
   When I installed an Avital in my wife's Ford, the directions were vague about the installation of the ignition wires. Obviously I had the starter wire, Acc wire, but the 12v (red) threw me. It said I needed to connect it to the 12v wire, but didn't mention needing both on the unit needing connected. I later found this out, after some cussing and tantrums! I spliced them together, and voila! Darn rookies! I feel a lot more comfortable doing this one. Plus I have this great community for support! I'll keep you posted.
gmc8757 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2010 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
Hey ramsesfan13
How did the install go?
Couple of questions if you don't mind...
Where did the Data OBD2 wire from the Fortin go?
Where did the Tach wire from the Fortin go (did you just connect that to the tach wire on the RS that was connected to the tach wire on the truck?)
ramsesfan13 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2010 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  
Actually, you have very good timing! i did the install this weekend, and was going to post tonight. The install was easy as pie! I did it in about 1.5 hours. As for your questions, the data wire from the Fortin went to the OBD2 Purple wire. It runs straight to the OBD port. The Tach wire on the Fortin went to the tach wire on the RS, that's it. It read the tach signal through the data wire. I hope this helps. Thanks to everyone that helped with this, it couldn't have been easier!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic