Smoke!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jbl4me 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  

Hello

I got a cigarette lighter to bare wire adapter at Radio Shack and connected it to my amp.  It was right, + to 12V and - to GND.  Smoke came out of my amp after being on for a few seconds.  Is the power here a different type?  What is wrong??

wrencher_25 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

What gauge of wiring were you using? Cause most amps require 10gauge minimum. And usually they are run through the firewall from the battery and down along the car to the amp. Oh, and I don't want to be the one to break it to you...BUT...once the magic smoke comes out of the amp, you can't get it back in. Smoke! -- posted image.. Sorry dude.

Andrew Weitzel
MECP First Class Installer
markwilliams 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
Like wrencher said you must go through the firewall to the postitive terminal of your battery.
Cletis 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like your amp is toast.  You need to hook it directly to the battery and ground it to the chasis.  Did you put a fuse inline with your wirng?
jbl4me 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
Is the voltage different there?
jbl4me 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  

I may try to RMA the amp.  I want to know if the amp was defective of if the cig plug friend the amp.  All connections were correct as described above.

Thanks

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
the wire from you cig lighter is to small you need 10awg or 8awg min. you were lucky your car didn't burn down. ask a local shop for some help
Big Dave
jbl4me 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  

Sombody please ansewer my question!  Did I fry my amp because I connected it there.  The amp never turned on just smoke.  I should have at least turned on, right?  I really need this question ansewered.

Thanks 

thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
What you have done mostly likely have cause the IC inside your amp to burn. It can be fix, but it might be expensive to the point where you are better off getting a new amp. Did you have speakers hooking up to the amp when this happen? If you did, what tense to happen is that you didn’t have enough power to supply to your amp so it overheated and as a result you can see smoke coming out of it. That’s just one of the scenario that I am guessing which might have caused your amp to smoke. If you are lucky enough to have connected the positive and negative incorrectly you might just have blown the fuse on the amp, so you can also have smoke coming out of there as well. So check your fuse on the side of the amp. Anyway, I don’t think there much more I can tell you other than a lesson you will have learned and be more careful of it the next time.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Smoke! -- posted image.
jbl4me 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  
No, there were no speakers
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic