shorted wire, no power, fuses fine.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
accordexxx 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2010 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys ...
So I have a remote starter (viper 5101) hooked up in a 2004 camry se 4cyl.
I originally used a universal by pass but it kept giving me trouble so i decided to get the xk05, and do it the correct way. So I decide to install it and when removing the universal bypass I accidentally shorted the wire. I pretty much connected the +ve to the +12v on the main ignition harness, I heard a pop and I knew a fuse went... The problem is I checked all the fuses and they are .. FINE! Well I think they are. Most are working properly, didnt find any blown ones but a few dont recieve power either. Mainly the ignition fuses. I checked both fuses boxes under the dash and hood.
The car wont start, no power inside, except maybe the dome light , headlights taillights etc. Anything that runs off the ignition harness under the dash doesnt work.
I cant seem to find the problem ... the fuses are fine and its driving me crazy. Is there anything else that I should take a look at , does the car have any other fuses that are hidden? The xk05 is a rather simple install yet this slight problem turned into a huge one making the car immobile!
Can anyone help me out or any suggestions?
thanks for any help and happy holidays! Stay safe and dont drink and drive.
accordexxx 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2010 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
Oh ya ... is there a possibility that I blew a relay?
If so how do I check them ...
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
you blew the big main fuse on that car. it's a pain in the ass if i recall correctly. i have a document with step by step how to replace it but that's at work and i'm off the next few days. I'm pretty sure that's what i'm thinking of unless i'm thinking corolla.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
accordexxx 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2010 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
^ thanks for the quick reply, when you mention the main fuse, is it under the fuse box under the hood?
I replaced a main fuse well the alternator fuse in a 07 camry (different body style) and that was a PAIN, had to take the whole fuse box apart, but the 04 camry doesnt have any similar fuses, they all pull straight out.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2010 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
Yea that big multi fuse under the hood is a bitch to change, however yours doesn't have it. If you are lacking power at the actual igntion switch you should check 2 fuses again, AM1 and AM2. I think the AM1 is inside while the AM2 is outside usually on Toyotas. These run the switch and everything on it...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
accordexxx 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2010 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
^ THANK YOU, I finally got it. The AM2 always had power, the AM1 didnt appear to be blown but i replaced it anyways and it WORKED! I spent the last 2 days going nuts over this. The AM1 did recieve power, which I assumed it was because of the fact that the main fuse was blown and wasnt supplying it power. Now when im in doubt , just change the fuse... thank god my dad grabed 2 handful of fuses from the junk yard last time he went.
Happy holidays guys, and thanks so much.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic