icon

can't disable car alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
prkn8tr 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2010 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 91 BMW 3-series with an alarm, keyless entry, etc. I do not think that the alarm is stock but can't say for sure. I do not know the brand of the alarm.
A few days ago the battery in my remote entry keychain died. I needed to get in the car anyways so I used my key to unlock the door. The normal alarm (multi-sound cycle) went off when I closed the door but then when I locked the door with the key the alarm disengaged. I then unlocked the car and was able to start it with no problems.
The next day I needed to put something into the car. I unlocked it just fine, the alarm was still disengaged, but the thing I was putting into the car banged against the under-carriage of the car by the driver-side door causing some non-normal alarm (a repeating single tone) to go off. This incident also disabled the ignition and locking/unlocking the car using the key did not disengage it.
I got a new battery for my remote entry but no combination of buttons (it has several) has any effect. I also disconnected the car battery to no effect.
There are two buttons on the dash (one looks like it has a sun-beam-like pattern on it, the other is plain) that seem to be related to the alarm (in the past pushing the buttons would cause the alarm to chirp). I have tried various combinations of button pushes while putting the key into the ignition to no effect.
Can anybody give me some idea of how to reset my alarm?
Nate
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2010 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a clifford valet button, you would have to know the combination to override.
ayalja123 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2010 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
The single tone sound like your factory alarm, that alarm should reset by using your key on the door try both just in case. As far as your aftermarket i would get under the dash and find out waht kind it is. Then google instructions for it
prkn8tr 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2010 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
i've tried the key in all doors and in the ignition, no luck.
Nate
ayalja123 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2010 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

Well i think your only option is to find the brain and disconnected. find out what kind of alarm it is. If you disconnect the brain you should be able to start the car but before you attempt to put it back find out how to work your valet switch

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 27, 2010 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
It has been a very long time since I had any dealings with a Clifford alarm.  But most alarms require the key to be in the ON position before the valet button will work.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic