avital 4003 on 2007 dakota wiring?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dcompton621 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2010 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Dakota 4-door 3.7L SLT
This module is an add-on remote starter to the factory remotes. My problem is getting the module's signal from the factory remotes (I knew this would be a pain!) The Dodge door lock system is a one-wire system. I programmed the module to require 3-pules of negative, and frankly I don't care which (unlock or lock) as long as it will work!
So, as I figured, I could not just tap into the lock/unlock wire directly as the voltage is variable depending on whether it is lock or unlock. So, I hooked up a relay to this wire and behold, it will work but only with pulses of "unlock" not "lock," because unlock uses a higher voltage than lock. The problem is, when I have the relay hooked up, my doors will no longer lock or unlock! I guess this is putting some sort of draw on the system causing the Multiplex system to fail? I'm not sure. Once I disconnect the Avital module or relay from the lock/unlock wire then my door locks work just fine, so I know I didn't fry anything!
I tried to isolate with a diode I had in my tool box but the diode didn't seem to help or wasn't working properly. I will try and get a new diode tomorrow to see if it will work. Any other suggestions?
bassxlr8r 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2010 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
program the module for positive pulse input and use the door lock motor wire (light green) in the driver's kick or door harness. unlock motor is tan/light green, but if you use this your doors are unlocked while it's running.
dcompton621 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2010 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
I will try that...thanks!!
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
hmm. might i ask why you wanted one that added on to the factory fob? isn't the range terrible on that thing?
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
dcompton621 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2010 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
Well, this is actually for my brother's truck. His wife bought it for him for Christmas. I asked how good the range was on the factory remote and she said it was pretty good. I've seen some cheaper aftermarket remotes that have poor range so I figured this module would be best for the money (only $60 for this module). It is nice too because the remote on this truck is built into the key, so this eliminates the need for a separate remote. That's really the only advantage! Hopefully this will work out; I will find out Friday when he brings the truck back to me and hopefully I can finish this up.
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2010 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
hmm for about that price they could have gotten one with keyless or even the 1 button 4113 or 4111 but eh if they're happy with it whatever.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
dcompton621 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2010 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
Good point. I will remember that next time! I guess I didn't do enough research to see what is offered. The 4113 is about the same price. Oh well, if he has reception issues with the 4003 we can add on remotes to it but I'm sure that is costly.
I didn't see a need for keyless as the keyless on his Dodge is built into the key plus wiring up keyless is a PITA for that truck (diodes, resistors, etc).

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic