icon

temperature turn on for fans

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
edouble101 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2010 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
I could not edit my post. Here are the diagrams, sorry.
Electrical overview
temperature turn on for fans - Page 3 -- posted image.
Relay diagram
temperature turn on for fans - Page 3 -- posted image.
edouble101 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2010 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
My links didn't work either!!
Relay http://www......com/item_5635_Bosch-BRLY1.html
Dual relay socket http://www......com/item_8400_Bosch-RS2-Dual-Relay-Socket.html
Diodes http://www......com/item_5909_400V-1A-Micromini-Silicon-Diodes-2-per-pack-Diode1.html
resquchas 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2010 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
only thing i would change is i dont feel comfortable running 30amps on 16 gauge. the relays will do up to 30a but you have nowhere near that kinda load. my chart says you can go up to 24 amp on 16gauge. 30 amp requires 14gauge. i would leave 16 gauge and put 20amp fuses on the relays. i could not get my browser to the website where you are looking to purchase from sorry. but the wiring is spot on.
The RIGHT way is the ONLY way.
edouble101 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2010 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
resquchas wrote:
only thing i would change is i dont feel comfortable running 30amps on 16 gauge. the relays will do up to 30a but you have nowhere near that kinda load. my chart says you can go up to 24 amp on 16gauge. 30 amp requires 14gauge. i would leave 16 gauge and put 20amp fuses on the relays. i could not get my browser to the website where you are looking to purchase from sorry. but the wiring is spot on.
Great. I wil make the changes you noted.
I do not know why the web address is being blocked. Where the "...." is type s o n i c e l e c t r o n i x without spaces. I think the forum is blocking due to spamming but this isn't the case.
As soon as you review the hardware I am making the purchase.
I can not thank you enough!
resquchas 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2010 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
you are good to go. checked it out and you have the right gear. let me know if you need anything else. happy wiring.
edouble101 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2010 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
resquchas wrote:
you are good to go. checked it out and you have the right gear. let me know if you need anything else. happy wiring.
I owe you resquchas, thank you for guiding me through this!
If you are interested in what I am doing with this you can see my build log here.
Have a good new year!
edouble101 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2011 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
I call the temp switches Klixons, but that is a trade name. They are typically ~$5 or less.
EG - http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ST3821 - use NO type.
I just noticed that this item is normally closed. It opens at 60 degrees. Doesn't this mean that the way I have it wired it will break the ground at 60 degrees turning the fans off?
resquchas 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2011 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
NO. and yes. the way the relay works 87a is normal closed. 87 is when relay coil is triggered.
ok....... so when the amp turns on it will ground relay 2 shutting off the power to the fans because they are wired to 87a.
when st3821 is heated up and "opens its circuit" relay 2 is no longer grounded and the 87a pin will se power and voila....fans come on.
aren't relays great. if you wire it like the diagram and fuse it with diodes and all you will have a reliable system.
hope this clarifies. if the st3821 was the other way around...then we would switch it to pin 87. you are good to go.
resquchas 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2011 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
its a different concept that something turns OFF and turns another ON. but thats a relay for ya
edouble101 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2011 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
resquchas wrote:
its a different concept that something turns OFF and turns another ON. but thats a relay for ya
I should have studied the relay design more before I posted. I was not doubting you I was confusing myself.
I have all the parts ordered (need to research and order fans) with extras. I am very excited to get this project competed!
THANK YOU
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic