icon

whats going on with my pkfm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ctdubbin 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2010 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
so guys i'm getting ind of fed up with this, and my wifey's about to strangle me if i don't get this fixed pretty soon.
the car: 07 Mazda3 Automatic
The Bypass: PKFM
the alarm: Viper 5701
The problem: remote start doesn't work. when i go to remote start it, ignition comes on (acc1 and 2), but the starter never engages. My security light in the dashboard blinks rapidly, which i can only assume means that the factory immoblizer isn't being overriden with the PKFM. (i don't get any parking light flashes when it fails to start)
i checked out the PKFM module for loose wires and such, and it's blinking about a half second after and in time with the security light on the dash. None of the information provided by Directed says what that means, but hey, i'll reset it. resetting it fails to get any other response from the PKFM besides just constant blinking (not that i can find what it's supposed to be doing anyways)
last little bit of info i can add is that i decided to try the remote start with the key in the ignition and the security light off, and still i get the same response.
so to me there's 2 problems maybe u guys could help me solve.
1. my PKFM is not working, and i don't know why.
2. even by overriding the PKFM, (by leaving the key in the ignition) it still won't remote start. I'm guessing it'll likely fail the valet takeover test, though i haven't tried it yet.
any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 29, 2010 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

did you disconnect the PKFM before you tried it again with the key in the IGN?   make sure to.....

check primary fuses to verify that all required IGN and ACC's are being powered....   is it programmed for tach?

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
ctdubbin 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2010 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
yes, i programmed it for virtual tach, and hooked up the tach wire to one of the injectors. well i believe i did, but then again, i believe i programmed the PKFM correctly too!
i can program it to use the tach reading from the wire, but would that cause a no-start condition? the Directed troubleshooting says to check that wire if the starter turns, but immediately dies.
also, i'll have to check the fuse for the starter wire, but i get Accessory 1 and Accessory 2 just fine. the Gauges, the HVAC, the radio all come on when the car tries to start.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 29, 2010 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
what about your IGN wires?   you should be powering 1 IGN and 2 ACC's ... obviously the car will not start if it doesnrt see IGN.... the way to test for this is to disconnect the PKFM, slide the key in and turn it to ign, then try to remote start the vehicle... if it starts then you are missing a required IGN...once this is fixed you can proceed to test the bypass etc.
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
ctdubbin 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2010 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
no, i tested it with the key in the ignition position.....
ctdubbin 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2011 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
well im gonna check some stuff tomorrow, such as all the connections i made, and the fuses.
regardless of the PKFM working or not, with the key in the run position, the car should still remote start, so i'm going to have to check the fuses and wiring for the starter wire. i'm sure i'll find my answer in there somewhere.
however, what does it mean when the LED on the PKFM just blinks in unison with the security light?
what should its normal function be? even after i reset the module, as soon as i plug it in, it just goes back to blinking in unison with the security light. could it be because i'm not unplugging the D2D wire while resetting the module?
dragonpntr 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2011 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  

If the key is in the run position it will not remote start it will think the vehicle is already running. You can un hook the pkfm and put the key in the ignition without turning it on that will bypass the security. Then you just need to make sure you are getting power on the ignition and starter wires. Should be a GREEN/ YELLOW for Ign. and pink / YELLOW for Acc. and Gray/black for starter and make sure you hooked up all the 12v constant leads coming from the viper I think there is 3. As far as the pkfm on that car it wont crank if it does not see the proper key code so check your Gray/orange TX and WHITE/ green RX in the car and make sure there hooked up correctly Green to the TX and Pink to the RX. Then check and make sure you have  12v on the red and ignition on the orange The black should be attached to a good ground.

The programming on the pkfm is the tricky part it has to be done very quick.

You used 2 keys to program the bypass didn't you?

dragonpntr 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2011 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  

The fast flashing led on the bypass usually means the TX and RX are backwards.

subconceptz 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2011 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
If you are getting no starter outout did you program the 5701 for automatic transmission? I would check that first. The default setting from DEI is Manual, I think.
monty_77 
Copper - Posts: 491
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2011 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
if its in manual you should get the 7 park light flash not??
also the pkfm will not start it on the first try of the programing do this
1. key 1 turn on ignition security light goes then out remove key 5 sec to do next step.
2. key 2 on ignition security light goes then out remove key 5 sec to do next step.
3. remote start the security light will flash wait tell the R/S shuts down or 10 and hit brake.
4. try to start it again will remote start and it should start (if everything is hooked up right)
to reset that module you will have to disconnect the power 10 or d2d and hold the program button in well putting power to it it will light up and then go out it is reset and you can let go of the program button
the pkfm will blink with the security light if it hooked up right
"PKF3 1.03       
TRANSPONDER BYPASS MODULE IN DATA FOR LATER FORD VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH PATS3 (2006 TO 2008).
Date: 2/29/2008    Size: 10KB      PKF3 1.03 - Firmware History
v1.03       1.03 This version include the same testing mode found in the PKFORD.(Led in module duplicate security light sequence, flashing when key is off, solid -for two sec.- when turning ignition ON. If led does all this, then wiring -TX and RX- is connected properly.)
v1.00       New firmware.
PKFORD 3.00
TRANSPONDER INTERFACE FORD DATA OVERRIDE ALL PATS1, PATS2 AND PATS3.
Date: 4/25/2007    Size: 11KB      PKFORD 3.00 - Firmware History
v3.00       Fixed intermittent problem with Fusion
*** Please download the new and improved install guide ***
v2.04       Fixed issue with Fusion
v2.03       Fixed issue with certain 2006 vehicle
v2.00       TRANSPONDER INTERFACE
FORD DATA OVERRIDE ALL PATS
v1.06       NEW BUG IN PKF3 MODE. SOLUTION: REMOVE ONE OF BUG FIX IN PREVIOUS VERSION
v1.05       ADD MAZDA 5, BUG FIX IN PKF1"
what firmware is on it i have had an issue with the
PKF3 that it would stop working after it was programed.
if you unplugged it and plug it back in and it works again
the module need to be reset once in a while and all you have to do is connect the ground wire(black) of the 10 pin harness to the Brake wire.
yes it sound stupid but that what the tech at directed told me to do and it works.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic