icon

back up lights, isolating dual switches

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
user error 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2010 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  

Currently the only upfitter switches being used would be one fused at 30a and it's running the lights now as the power source and switch. Then one of the 15a for my back up camera. I will also be using another one later this week to trigger the relay for my train horns air compressor since it currently is running full time not just on acc power (which i could just grab a non switched acc wire also). 

I was planning on knocking it down to one of the 15a switches since it would only be a trigger for the buck up lights relay in the new wiring set up not the acutal power source. My actual power source for the relay will be direct from the hot side of the battery. Only 1 set of driving lights will be used for this application (at this time may add a second set in the future).

user error 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2010 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
I just noticed in the diagram it should be a *30a* fuse at the battery to 87 not the 15a as noted.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2010 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  

ok...with info and your pic, everything is good.  banded end of diodes together and connected to your aux reverse lamp relay coil.  non-banded end to source.  could also use just one diode on the reverse (BLACK/ pink wire), banded end still to the aux rev relay.  the relays in the upfitter system will prevent any feedback to the lights on the switches.  the diode prevents the upfitter switch from turning on the reverse lamps and associated circuits. thought you may have been adding many lights...gotta quit posting too early.

mark

user error 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2010 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
Ahhh very good point... one question on the diodes do they reduce the power of the wire they are on? or just make the line go one way?
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2010 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

think of a diode as a one way valve...lets current flow only one direction

user error 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2010 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

Okay I got that part that it only allows flow in one direction but I don't know where i got the theory they also reduced the power like if it's a 15 amp circut it would reduce it down to 1 amp or something similar in conjunction with only allowing flow in one direction...

user error 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2011 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  

Got everything installed yesterday with just one diode and it works like a champ thanks for the help...

The only issue I may have would be heat from the diode? I used heatshrink butt connecters to put the Diode inline and shield it. I cut down the diode and slid it inside the heat shink part of the connecter and shrunk then slid another connector from the opposing side over what i had already shrunk and shrunk it as well this incased the diode with two layers of the shrink. It's well shielded but with my lack of knowledge about these I am not sure how hot they get if it could melt the connector and heatshrink.

Next I think I am going to look into wiring up the reverse lights and aux lights to the timed output from the OEM Keyless entry on the Dome Light Circut.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 02, 2011 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
The only problem I see is the fact that you covered the diode and essentially removed it's ability to dissipate the tiny amount of heat that would be produced. The diode is rated at 1 amp, the current draw of the relay is less than 2/10 of an amp of current. If the diode were to short, the only problem you would have is the reverse lights will illuminate when you turn the switch on.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2011 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
user error wrote:
... wiring up the reverse lights and aux lights to the timed output from the OEM Keyless entry on the Dome Light Circut.
Hopefully from a independent module!
And as IAAI posted, each diode diode probably produces a maximum of (say) 0.7V x 250mA = 175mW - ie, under 1/5th of a Watt.
Heat shouldn't be a problem, but they still need to dissipate that heat, though that amount might be ok through their leads. (Feel them when operating - warm is ok, but not hot.)
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2011 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
Crimp connectors? A cludge, just solder and heat shrink, no problems.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic