2003 dodge ram activate headlights only

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vulcanrider99 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2011 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  

Hello All,

First, thanks for all of the great information on the site! My question is for a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500.I installed a Ready Remote remote start system. All is well, but I wanted to utilize their headlight activation feature. They did not cover this in their installation guide, but I found other information out there to hook in to the headlight switch with a relay and 1.8K resistor. It works, but the remote start module only has two options, daytime running lights and light your way (lights stay on for 25 seconds after ignition is off). That is great, except that it is like turning the lights on at the switch (parking lights, dash lights, fog lights all come on). With the light your way feature, the warning dinger goes off every time I shut off the truck and get out (it thinks the switch is on). I don't like this, and furthermore am afraid I will actually leave my lights on once I get used to it.

How can I hook into the wiring to activate only the headlights (like the factory delay if you shut off the ignition and then the lights)? I am thinking I should be able to splice into the high beam wire coming from the steering column, but I don't know what resistor I need. Per a service manual I have, it looks like it might be a 20 gauge violet wire with an orange stripe that runs the high beam? 
I know I could wire a fused link from the battery and use a relay, but it just seems cleaner if I could do it under the dash. Hope someone can help! Thanks again!

Thanks,
Joe
vulcanrider99 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2011 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  

I think that this maybe should have gone under the "lights" forum. How do I move it there? 

Thanks,
Joe
vulcanrider99 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2011 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

Bump. Can anyone help? The headlight on alarm when I get out of my truck is getting old...lol.

Thanks,

Joe

Thanks,
Joe
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2011 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
You could go into the hood and hook them up individually with relays and isolate away from the vehicle side. Then the BCM can't tell the lights are on.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic