icon

python 872 problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmj3783 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2011 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Python 872 installed into a 2008 Cobalt / Manual Trans. The installer put a toggle switch in to bypass the parking brake wire..here is why
When hooked up correctly the installer said that the remote start would activate the module and right before crank it would just shut the remote starter down.
But when hooked up to a toggle switch, which is grounded. it works as it should flawlessly every time.
What would cause this? a ground is a ground right? or does it matter if its hooked up under dash to parking brake wire, or at the switch by the parking brake lever?
Please help any input will be appreciated thanks.
subconceptz 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2011 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
The 872 is very sensitive. It should be hooked up the the parking brake switch at the hand brake. You may be losing some ground or even picking up resistance if it is tapped somewhere else. Ijust did an '07 Civic Si and tagged the parking brake wire at the hand brake.
jmj3783 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2011 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I hope this is the problem. Because I know he tried tapping into it under the dash. So maybe i will try Closer to the switch. Thanks for your input.
subconceptz 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2011 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah it should be the Light Blue wire going into the lever, Single wire. Should meter OPEN when parking brake is not applied and GROUND when parking brake is applied. Also make sure he put the BLACK/ WHITE wire off the 872 to this wire, AND you will need the plug in toggle switch installed as well, Without it the unit won't remote start either.
jmj3783 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2011 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
The plug in toggle switch is installed.
as for the blk/wht wire, this is what should be hooked up closer to switch right? I wish I had hooked this up so I would know what wires supposed to go to what. But Right know he has the blk/wht wire grounded w toggle switch tto trick remote starter into thinking it is the parking brake being applied
So when I Activate Manual mode I now have to Hold foot on break, Flip toggle switch, then release foot break and press the start on remote to activate it, then ofcourse get out and lock the door to activate the manual trans mode. But would love to just be able to use parking brake not toggle every time
subconceptz 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2011 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
Correct. That wire going to toggle needs to go to the parking brake lever. It should be a light blue wire that is a single wire that plugs onto the lever in the consle. If he tried to get at that wire in the passenger side of the console at the BCM it might not give enough ground to tell the unit it is on. I have seen this exact problem before. 
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2011 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
unless the ground signal from your parking brake cuts out for a second while craking or something. should be a pretty simple one to do.
properly he should have fixed it so that yhou use your parking brake. a toggle switch sounds like something a backyard diyer would do.
I always get the parking brake wire right at the switch unless it's way more work.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
jmj3783 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 6:31 AM / IP Logged  
The ground cutting out is what I am afraid of. But there are other people on this site that say they have other remote starts hooked up to 08 cobalts, so hopefully I dont have that one rare mess up. I will try connecting it by the switch and see if that works, thanks!
jmj3783 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  

zerepdivad wrote:
unless the ground signal from your parking brake cuts out for a second while craking or something. should be a pretty simple one to do.
properly he should have fixed it so that yhou use your parking brake. a toggle switch sounds like something a backyard diyer would do.
I always get the parking brake wire right at the switch unless it's way more work.

What would be the best way to check this wire to see if it cuts out before cranking ? multi meter or? Thanks again for you help

zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
multimeter set to dc voltage, with you red lead to constant 12v, and your black lead to your parking brake wire. see if it cuts out.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic