icon

96 maxima starter wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
amcmac 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 6:22 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 96 maxima that I am installing a DEI 552t in.  The wiring schematics for the car say that there are two starter wires.  I checked and there are two wires that show 12volts when the starter is cranked.  I have been told that both of them need to be hooked up.  My question is can I just hook the 2 wires and the remote starter wire together or do I need to hook a couple of diodes up to the car's 2 wires?  If so can you someone tell me how to do that? 

Another issue with the remote start is the tach wire.  The installation manual that I downloaded from DEI's website says to set the multimeter to ACV and the tach wire will read between 1V and 6V.  The wire schematics for the car says it is a WHT/GRN at the ECM under the console.  I found a WHT/GRN there and tested it and it show 14V on the meter.  So I took the guages out and checked the WHT/GRN behind the guages and it shows 14V.  Can this be the right wire?  If so can I hook up to it to make the RPM learning feature work?

Thanks for the help

CCRoadshop 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 6:58 AM / IP Logged  

Both starter wires DO NEED to be hooked up......but you'll fry the system hooking up one starter wire to both....

You need a relay

Hook it up like this

PIN 86 and 87 get hooked up to 12 volts

PIN 85 gets hooked up to the small purple wire on the ribbon cable

PIN 30 gets hooked up to the cars second starter wire

Nissan should be fine if u hook up voltage checking...just do that dont run tach

Installer - Circuit City Roadshop(2 1/2 years n counting)
------------------
Alpine CDA7894(soon to be the cda9815)
Pioneer XM unit(soon to be direct link alpine)
Audiovox 995C alarm/remote start
amcmac 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  

What system would get fried? (The car or the 552T)  Correct me if I am wrong, but you are saying to have 1 relay per starter wire. 

Also on the voltage checking feature, should the threshold be set to high or low and what is the difference?

Thanks again for your help.

draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
is this info the same as yours???
this is the info that i have:
Starter BLACK/ WHITE IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
I tie Nissan/Infiniti starter wires together all the time.....to be honest, this is not considered electrically acceptable, and it is contrary to how the car is designed...... but time is money, it works, and things don't burn out.
At any rate, since your DEI unit uses separate relay packs, this is VERY easy to take care of the right way.
You may have noticed that your car has only one ignition wire, but your remote starter has two ignition relays.....one with the pink wire, and the other with the pink/white. Since you're not using the pink/white wire for anything right now, we'll borrow it.
Look closely at the little ribbon cables coming out of the 552's brain and going to the relay pack, they go to terminal #86 of all the relays.........the brain puts out a weak negative signal on each of these wires, which triggers the relays, which puts a big strong positive signal on each of the big wires coming out.
And the color coding of the small wires is just the same as for the large ones.
Now, look closely at the little pink wire...this is the ignition trigger....see how it is jumpered to two relays at once? It is connected to the ignition 1 and 2 relays. Now look at the little purple wire; it is connected to the starter wire's relay.
I know I've made this a long story, but I just wanted you to understand how the system works....the modification is extremely simple. Here are the steps:
1. Go to the relay that contains the pink/white ignition 2 output.
2. Grab the little pink wire, and cut it away from the ignition 1 relay....cut it very close to the ignition 1 relay, so you'll have plenty of slack.
3. Strip some insulation off the little purple wire going to the starter relay.
4. Take the little pink wire that comes from the ignition 2 relay, and connect it onto the little purple wire.
That's it! From now on, the pink/white wire is a second starter output.
TACH:
I've never measured a Maxima tach wire with a meter, so I'm not sure of the voltage. See if the voltage changes when you rev up the engine.
I can also tell you that in the ECM harness, the tach wire is a very small wire, and it's wrapped in pieces of blue tape here and there...and I think it's the only WHITE/ green in there anyway.
So here's what you do.
Complete the rest of your install; save the tach wire for last.
Make a temporary connection to the wire that you think is tach.....don't worry about tape or solder or anything like that just yet.
Attempt to program tach to the remote starter. If it doesn't program, you're either following the program procedure incorrectly, or you have the wrong wire.
If it programs, great. Try to remote start the car, and see if it works... hopefully it will. Then, step on the gas and rev the engine way up to like 4000RPM; this should cause the remote starter to shut down for safety.
If the remote start works, and the over-rev protection works, you've got the right tach wire. Make your temporary connection into a permanent one, and put the car back together.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic