icon

deep cycle is dead

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
italian_virus 
Copper - Posts: 143
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2011 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
The main reason for my purchase was because of a deal i was able to get.
One thing i noticed since ive changed the battery is that after the car idels the voltage drops after some time. At one point i noticed that it was at 11.1v! Until i reved the motor then it jumped to 14.3v and stayed there.
My belt on my alternator is a little loose( i know bc i get a little squeel sometimes when i start my car). so i dont think its fully charging the battery at idle.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2011 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
It may be your regulator takes a kick to start (a slight rev). This is noticeable on some older electronic regulators - especially external types.
Tighten or replace you fan belt before it breaks. It may cause engine overheating (waterpump slip) and flatteries in the meantime (hence voiding Optima warranty).
Not that it should be as low as 11.2V except during cranking etc. But maybe the voltmeter is measuring the dash or IGN and not the battery. But hopefully not the Optima(s) - though being stuffed would explain the good deal/price.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2011 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
I used to sell Optima batteries.........I don't anymore, because all I ever did was warranty them. They are junk batteries, period. If you are the kind of person that is gonna beat, abuse and neglect you battery, and lets face it, most people do.......just puschase a Deka, standard lead-acid battery, the biggest one you can fit, and be done with it. You will get the 3-4 years that can be expected from any abused, overworked, and neglected battery, and possibly even a year or 2 more. And with the money you save on the price difference between it and an AGM, why would you ever do any different?
paul h 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2011 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  

I too have been needing to get a new battery and was thinking of the optima....thought they were one of the better around!  I'm thinking not after reading this....

I am needing just the #1 main battery...I don't have a 2nd at this point. I think everyone knows WalMart is junk, Napa is right with them...crap....what about AutoZone Duralast Gold?  Or I have a friend that said the O Reillys batteries were great.  Said his was pushing 2.5 yrs old with no problems...not sure what their brand is....

Anywhere else?  I personally love Interstate batteries....but I don't have a local dealer....

UPDATE: I spoke with my fire chief this morning....I knew there was someone he used for batteries and I thought might have been Interstate...I was wrong, they are Exide.  We have never had any problems and they have great warranty...not to mention I got a good price!  $30 cheaper than anyone else for the big battery!  I'll give exide a try....they have been around for awhile and seem to have a good product....

oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2011 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
paul h wrote:
... his was pushing 2.5 yrs old with no problems..
Eh? I just retired my normal wet lead-acids after EIGHT years, though they were half past dead after 6 years (I then ran dual batteries).
Even in ye olde days I considered under 3 years unacceptable....
As usual, I ask why an AGM especially if it is the main and only battery? As long as people understand the reason(s).
As a second battery, sure - especially if internal, or for low audio ESR etc (even if usually not relevant!).
Deka is recommended down here rather than Optima & Odyssey.
Stateside, Kinetic seems the oft recommended AGM battery.
Having only recently fond the local prices for my Yuasa AGM batteries (UXH38AH - $670), I would get the cheaper UXH100AH (~$550-$600) instead, and certainly that UXH100 or UXH130 rather than a RRP $550 D31A (75AH Optima yellow) even though they are available for $450.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic