icon

2000 dodge stratus blows ign fuse

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
66beetle 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
I just got done installing a remote start in a 2000 Dodge Stratus and the first time it started and ran fine until i turned the blower motor on and the ign fuse blew.  I replaced the fuse and turn off the fan and the fuse held, started with the key everthing worked fine, I left the fan on a middle speed and tried the remote start and it ran for 3 min then blew the ign fuse.  I'm stumped on what is wrong cause all the ign wires (ex starter wire) should be hot when the remote starter is active or when using the key?  Any ideas would be great
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
what ignition fuse the one on the remote start or the one in the vehicle? where did you get the main power for the unit?
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
66beetle 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
the ign fuse under the hood is blowing and the +12 is connected to the red wire on the ign switch and the other one is connected to the pink with black
zerepdivad 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
what kind of unit? and how big is the ignition fuse that's being blown? you may have it feeding something that takes more current than that particular wire can handle.
can't say i've ever had that issue myself, and i've done may stratus'. i imagine the red wire is the one that will get no voltage once the fuse blows?
easy fix would be to run power straight to the battery. unless of course there is a fault with the unit.
66beetle 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  
the ign fuse is a 20 amp under the hood and the remote starter is a audiovox 687, i'll have to see what wire goes dead when the fuse is blown and check to see if there is a difference between using the key and remote start for voltage on the ign wires
zerepdivad 
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
i've done many stratus' and haven't ever had that issue. i believe i usually use the pink/black or whatever wire is thickest. pink/black comes to mind though.
66beetle 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  
the pink/black is the largest, so i should just connect both the red and RED / white from the remote starter to the pink/black?
zerepdivad 
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 1:36 AM / IP Logged  
that's what i recall doing and haven't ever had issues. obviously if there is some kind of fault with the unit then you'll still have the same issue. won't hurt to try it.
vehicle unseen that's the best advice i can give really.
66beetle 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  
the more i think about it that makes sense, I tied the parking lights to one of those wires and I bet i'm overloading the circuit on the smaller red wire
66beetle 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  
will try that tomorrow and I'll bet that will take care of it, thanks a ton for the help, I usually use one power wire but since there was two listed I used both, go figure it wouldn't work:)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic