icon

where to buy spdt relay local

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2011 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
Are you doing starter kill? If not, just use a SPST.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2011 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
FYI - if you go for 5-pin, check or specify it's changeover (SPDT).
I have just seen relays in a local auto store, and both variants are labeled "5-pin".
SPSTs will have the dual 87 output whereas SPDT 87 & 87a.
Except for Hansa - I have Hansa relay with duplicated/twin 87s where the 2nd 87 is labeled 87a!! If supplying GND to 87a & +12V to 87, that can be a fun relay - especially when people bypass the fuses!
Fun to see the price differences between resistor & diode relays.
Yet nobody seems to resistor or diode the ignition coil - potentially (pun intended) the biggest spiker of them all....
tdub 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2011 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
yes it is for the starter anti grind
i found one from the knowledgeable fellow at the local napa parts store... he had to pull a few till we got one that was SPDT
i did run into some that were like you said, 5 pin SPST, had dual 87 pins and no 87a pin
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2011 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
xlnt!
Luckily most Bosch-type mini relays include a moulded schematic. (That's how I picked the Hansa problem!)
Hence "look at the picture".
(Beats me why people insist on the "physical" drawings for relays etc - I rarely understand the schema - I have to redraw to figure the circuit. And that still applies despite my recent shift to non-Bosch relays (eg, Japanese Jideco etc) which never have those on-body pics!)    
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2011 at 3:59 AM / IP Logged  
Not forgetting 87b relays, SP with two isolated outputs, also Oldspark, x 2 with my previous comment on Japanese relays,
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2011 at 4:35 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
also Oldspark, x 2 with my previous comment on Japanese relays
Hence my recent migration from Bosch relays to the Jap - no more weak mounting options or mixed relays.
Once their bane, I now understand. And they can almost logically be worked out.
The coil is always the same pins.
Newer SPDT (black) & SPST (blue) can be interchanged (most are now supplied as SPDT anyhow).
The other common variant is the DPST (eg, IGN relay; brown?) and the one-on one-off (eg - aircon-startermotor relay; grey?), but with different power-pin locations.
And I like their more secure/robust mounting options - locked in cradle or relay box etc, else a mounting tang and locked harness or flying spades. No more broken or loose Bosch tangs.
And no more "semi" sealed Bosch types.
I'm standardising on the JIDECOs for convenience.
If volume becomes an issue, I'll reconsider, but IMO the micro relays don't save too much. Maybe I'll go MOSFET instead....
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2011 at 4:42 AM / IP Logged  
I'm hearing from the major suppliers of reliability problems with the latest (Chinese manufactured) Bosch relays, it might be sour grapes though, but then Bosch style relays, ALWAYS mount them terminals down, spray whole assembly with water retarder, or better still, don't mount under the hood unless it's lighting or horns.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2011 at 5:52 AM / IP Logged  
Such trivial concerns. where to buy spdt relay local - Page 2 -- posted image. where to buy spdt relay local - Page 2 -- posted image.
I learned not to invert Bosch relays over 20 years ago on my Ducati - the headlights would not switch off. (I already had a flat battery from NOT exceeding 140kph with headlights on in pouring rain!)
No such problems for me (anymore).
Rain upside down, no problems.
Relays in engine bays - no problems. (EG - Mum's >20 year old "normally energised" SPDT fan relay - only de-energised with ignition OFF else fan ON.)
It hasn't been a few good years for Bosch AFAIAC. Though somewhat staggered at their "primitive" practices and implementations, I considered them ok - even though I would never use them except for relays.
Then came their alternators. A short lived trial that lasted less that 6 months. Now back to Hitachi et al (but with internal regulators!).
Around the same time I got involved in their ignitors. Why so many variants? Why so many individual/manual mods? There should generally only be 2 variants - reluctor (sine) and square wave inputs. But tailoring individual components and PCB TRACKS. No ISO 9002 for them!
And starting to appreciate modular Japanese fuse/relay boxes, I also discarded the non-robust mini-Bosch type relays.
(Did I mention my BMW headlights?)
I didn't realise what peers meant by the Japanese mastering electricals until my recent forays elsewhere.
But I have seen sealed Bosch relays. About time! But in my case, too late.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic