icon

sub enclosure size help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trdgts 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
hi all, i was set on getting a single titanium 12in eclipse sw9122 subwoofer, but now the box size is bothering me. i dont even know how to calculate what the proper size is supposed to be. ive been tryin to do research and iver heard things from 1.0 cuft to 3.0 cuft. Here are the specs from the eclipse web site. i have no idea what they mean. and if they help calculate box size :)
Fs: 27Hz
Qts: 0.30
DCR: 4/coil
Vas: 3.20 cuft
Xmax:(one way) 1.50"
also, how important is box size. since this would go in a compact car, im kinda reluctant to use a huge box. so would it be smart to use a smaller than recommended size?
Cletis 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
Do you know what type of box you want, sealed, ported, bandpass, etc.  I've been looking for specs but haven't found any yet but I'll keep looking.
trdgts 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
to be honest i dont really know. probably sealed though. thanks for the help!
trdgts 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
ttt
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
If I'm remembering right, a smaller sealed enclosure will produce better SPL, where as a larger sealed enclosure will produce better SQ. If you're looking for the best mix, go for an enclosure that's in the middle (ie. if the manufacture recommends a sealed enclosure between 1.0 and 3.0 cu. ft, then try 2.0 for the best mix). There's no guarentee, but if you build the enclosure too small, then you can always add Polyfil or insulation to help the sound. If you build it too big, then you can add baffles or extra pieces of wood to the inside to decrease the space. Remember, with enclosures you are concerned about the internal airspace, not the overall external dimensions. That is unless someone has already built a box to your specs before and can give you the proper external specs you would need. This article might help describe things better than I can. I'll keep looking for your specific specs as well
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
trdgts 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2003 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
right...im actually going for more SQ. i am concerned about the internal air space, but i mean isnt that a direct relation to the overall size? the more volume i need the bigger the box will be right? i'll definitely look into the middle size to kep size down. thanks for the help, hopefully someone out there has a more definite answer, seems fujitsu ten is pretty poor about giving out enclosure specs =)
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2003 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
There is a direct relationship between the overall size and internal airspace, you are right on that. But what I was getting at was a 12x9x10 enclosure (external dimensions) made from 1" MDF would give you a different internal airspace then a 12x9x10 enclosure (external dimensions) made from 1/2" or 3/4" MDF. The thickness of the materials plays a role. I'm still looking for some specs, sorry the link didn't help...
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
wvsquirrel 
Posted: April 24, 2003 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
From what I've been able to find, you want an enclosure between 0.75 and 2.5 cubic ft (per sub). According to Eclipse, your sub works best in a small sealed enclosure. I'd start with around 1.0-1.5 cubic ft. per sub, and work from there (I'm using a prefab 1.25/per for 2 RFD2112 Punch HX2's for now and it quakes). Use at least 3/4" MDF for stability. Good luck
If you look here there's a calculator part way down the page for calculating sealed enclosures. It might help to easily figure out height, width, and depth requirements. You can also alter the size of the material you would be using (1", .75", .5", etc...)
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
trdgts 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2003 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
thanks a lot!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic