icon

critique this setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sojer 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2011 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  

The transducer sounds like a nice idea but I'd rather actual loud, clear music not some device that tricks me into thinking I'm getting loud, clear music. The transducer sounds nice but I'm not interested in "perception." If I'm going to shell out money I want to get something I'll like. I've experimented with other things in the past trying to cut corners and it never works out I only end up wasting money so I'm not cutting anymore corners I'm investing in something that I'll love for the life of the car. 

I'm looking for the best setup for my budget which is $500 or less not including installation. Wether it's full range speakers or component speakers doesn't matter I just want clear, crisp, loud sounding music and good quality equipment. I'd like it to be loud but it does not need to be loud enough to hear it from 4 miles away which is why I did not want the big-box-in-the-trunk subwoofer. I'm not trying to win competitions I just want to enjoy my music in the car without hearing distorted, muffled music.

What I find funny is I've spoken to 3 different guys in 3 different shops all who claim to have 10 or more years experience and none of them can really give me a clear answer. If I tell them I want something competition level or loud as hell they can give me a several suggestions that'll all cost me $5000 or more. But when I ask them to recommend something of good quality that gives clear, crisp, sound that can go loud that's not too expensive none of them have any good suggestions. I don't get it. It seems in the car audio business you either spend thousands of dollars or settle for stock crappy speakers and crappy sounding music. Is there no happy middle ground?

z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2011 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
The point of the transducers is not to replace the speakers but to replace the subwoofer. Any sound below about 80Hz becomes relatively non directional. That is why you can put a subwoofer in the trunk.
For $500 what I would put in my car would be the Boston Acoustics Pro 60's powered by an Alpine PDX-2.150. Which you can find at Sonic #. com for $509.
Obviously not including a head-unit, wiring, rear speakers(It's a stereo system = TWO not 4), and !!!sound deadening!!!HINTcritique this setup - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
resquchas 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
The reason you get different suggestions is that is impossibel to find aperson, even with 10years, who has installed it all. Coupled with, there are different ways to accomplish the same thing. You also need to be informed about what audio is before you can start putting down someones suggestions. take it for what it is worth, an opinion. An educated one, so you should listen. when you feel like you have absorbed the info you need make the purchase. Try out different systems and see what you like also. Especially if the vehicle is similar. BTW, the transducer idea is not new, and not gimmicky. It is based on how humans hear what we hear. That is based on science. if you just want lound pressure waves, easy to do. Get some big long excursion woofers and power them with lots of voltage. everyone will agree, right? As far as affordable clean sound, also easy. Pick quality stuff and make your car quiet with speakers installed to minimize reflections/cancellations. Now if you want it to be ridiculously loud also. combine some measure of both but the melding of concepts can be problematic.
The RIGHT way is the ONLY way.
resquchas 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2011 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
Not impossible to find that guy, but hard nowadays anyway
The RIGHT way is the ONLY way.
cardvdheadunit 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2011 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
The Kenwood 9960 ain't a bad choice, but you should check out the JVC KW-NX7000BT. It's just as good as the 9960 possibly even better and cheaper if you can find it somewhere hot.
sojer 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2011 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  

I checked out the JVC KW NX700BT and its missing some key features I want. It is missing a lot of features that the newer JVC NAV uints have built in now. It isn't compatible with the iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4. I doesn't have built in bluetooth it requires an add module. It has traffic updates but you have to pay for it after 3 months and its discontinued so its no longer supported and the updates are no longer free. The Kenwood and the newer JVCs have much more features and are ompatible with the iPhone.

I think I settled on what I'm getting. The polk DB650s component speakers with some polk coaxial speakers for the back seat and a BazookA MGA4150 4-channel amp to power it all. No subwoofer after all just the speakers. Those are all good quality components and it is all under $430 which fit my budget. I think I'm going to be happy with them and the sound quality will be great. I hear polk makes good quality speakers and they got good reviews. I'm also getting dynamamt for all for doors to enhance the sound quality.

The amp is rated at 100 watts RMS x 4 channels at 4 ohms. with two 30 amp fuses. The math says it can output 100 watts RMS to each channel.

I already bought a 0 guage amp kit. Will  0/1 guage wriing work with an amp that calls for 4 guage? Is there anything wrong with using 0 guage wire with this Bazooka amp?

z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2011 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
0 gauge is way overkill for that amp but thats not a bad thing. You will need two ground adapters to attach power and ground to the amp.
Are you having this installed by Crutchfield some how?
Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
sojer 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2011 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  

Good I didn't know about ground adapters. I thought I'd have to return my 0 guage kit and rebuy a 4 guage kit. I'll just get the adapters now.

I was looking at Best Buy to do the installation. The installed the first navi I had which was a Pioneer Avic which turned out to be a piece of crap which is why I'm buying a new navi. They did an ok job. I'm alos looking at another place around here called car toys. http://www.distinctivecartoyz.com/

Best bUy quoted me $360 to install an amp and 4 speakers and dynamat in all four doors. Does that sound like a good price? I'm also looking at 6Ave Electronics too. they quoted me a similar price.

Any reliable installers here please chime in. I have a 2008 Suzuki SX4 and I'd like to install component speakers,regular coaxials in the back seat and an amplifier either in the trunk or under the passenger seat and dynamat and speaker baffles in all four car doors. Do you guys have an idea of how much that "should" cost in the NJ area? Also if anyone can offer any good advice on what to look for please feel free.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic