icon

how dependable is brake data input?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  

I just had a client call- tells me his RS I just installed stays on after touching the brake pedal.  I used a crimestopper R-4g2 and an INT-SL for the bypass module. I used the data to data connector.  I tested several times before I gave it back- and unit would shut down every time I pressed the brake pedal.  What good are the special modules if they are going to be erratic?  Now, I'll hard wire the brake input directly to the R/S. 

I was pleasantly surprised when I learned the module would detect brake input, because of one less wire to attach, but now am hesitant to ever use it again.

Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
i've never actually used it. i've done many models with that feature but brake, hood, and tack are 3 that i'd rather hardwire myself.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
i hardwire everything just to be on the safe side, but have heard no complaints from idatalink or fortin pieces.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,601
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
You can never go wrong hardwiring unless data is absolutely necessary.
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
Same, hardwire it to the module. The technology is not reliable enough / too many issues.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2011 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  
I always go W2W but I do use the iDatalink bypass module produced Brake and Tach signals rather than connecting the remote starter directly to the vehicle.
Soldering is fun!
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 25, 2011 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:
I always go W2W but I do use the iDatalink bypass module produced Brake and Tach signals rather than connecting the remote starter directly to the vehicle.
X2
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
brcidd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2011 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  

Well, the plot thickens.. I went to get the car today to hardwire the brake input and the ABS light and "BRAKE" light and traction control indicators are all on.  And when I Remote start it- the brake by data method does not shut down the R/S just as client described.  I will go get the codes read tomorrow- but the question now that begs to be answered is--when using data brake input and an INT-SL module, does the brake input data get interrupted by the fact that the codes are set?   This would be good to know for diagnostics purposes and even more reason to always hardwire.

Of course the reverse question is-- did the INT-SL somehow cause the brake codes?  I hope not- It did take two weeks for the codes to set after the R/S install. 

More to follow....

brcidd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2011 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

Well, now I find out the ABS, Brake, and traction control lights are randomly coming on- sometimes for 30 seconds, sometimes for several minutes- but I did find a time when they all stayed off- and immediately shut off car- and tried R/S.  Car started fine, then I pressed brake and it shut down as it should -without being hardwired to brake- I repeated this 4 more times, and am now certain that if the ABS lite (and others are on) the Brake by data link is broken.  ABS light (and others) came on again- I shut off car and use R/S- and brake would not shut it down-- so as long as ABS light is on- brake by data is inop-- good to know- that I get the car back as a R/S problem, when it probably is an ABS problem.

Don't you just love it - once you install a R/S in a car- every problem that occurs is yours from then on!!

hotrodman 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2011 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

ABS and Traction light will come on if the brake switch has failed, and if it does there will be not shut down even with hardwired brake wire.  It' not a late model GM 04 or newer is it, have several Lucerne's and G6's that have common brake pedal position sensor problems, either lights stay on all the time or don't come on when step on pedal. Have had 5-6 act up in the shop when customer came back with RS inop.

Should have ABS fixed or at least codes pulled.  Headaches sure ain't no fun.

HRM

To be old and wise, you must first be young and dumb.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic