the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

passlock 2 bypass do you see a prob here?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nfrank89 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2011 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
So, installing remote start on a 1998 chev 1500 i used the instructions alldata provides to program a replacement ignition cylinder resistor, to program a 520ohm resistor i had sitting in my tool box. i cut the yellow wire and jumpered the ecu side to the org/blk wire with the resistor then followed the reprogramming process. basically turn the key on leave it for 10 min till the security light stops blinking and repeat that 2 more times after you turn the ignition back on for the 4th time the truck is now programmed to the new resistor and the vehicle starts right up with no blinking theft light, no codes.
i know and explained to the customer that this defeats the factory immobilizer at all times.
is there anything wrong with using this method? i never saw it anywhere online and i doubt im the first person to figure this out.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
As you have already explained, you are using the method that is used when replacing the ignition cylinder. Since you have reprogrammed the truck to your new resistance value, why not add a relay so the vehicle owner isn't losing the factory anti-theft altogether?
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
hotrodman 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2011 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  

Nothing "wrong" with it, just eliminates passlock security.  I have used this method dozens of times usually when customer has a failed passlock sensor and their faced with a $425 repair, they usually opt for my $40 resistor fix (35 labor 5 for resistor).  Plus have had a few vehicles replace passlock sensor ($425) and need it again few years later.

HRM

To be old and wise, you must first be young and dumb.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic