icon

jeep switch 12v problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
enemen8 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, i am installing a aftermarket head unit and i hooked up everything and it wouldnt power on. So i started doing trial and error things and i found out that my 12v switch wire coming from my jeep does not work. i can put the 12v constant and switch together and it powers up but when i have the constant to constant and switch to switch it will not. what could the problem be? thank you
enemen8 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2011 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
enemen8 wrote:
Alright, i am installing a aftermarket head unit and i hooked up everything and it wouldnt power on. So i started doing trial and error things and i found out that my 12v switch wire coming from my jeep does not work. i can put the 12v constant and switch together and it powers up but when i have the constant to constant and switch to switch it will not. what could the problem be? thank you
also know as the acc wire
toyyoda 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2011 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  

Does the factory radio work if it is plugged in?  Did you check the fuses?  What year/model Jeep is it?

oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2011 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
Don't connect power to things that don't work.
If it is the Acc wire as emenen8 suggested, then you are constantly powering your Accessories - hence possibly flattening the battery.
If you do know what that switch controls, then it may be ok (to connect).
I just wired in a new HU and as always, it is straight to the battery (with fuse at the battery of course!). (I used to include a 2-way selector switch for +12V or Acc power, but I canned that last millennium.)
If you want to add a switch, the add one. Use only existing switches if they are otherwise disconnected.
And if your switch wire is the ACC line, then as above - check connections and fuses.
And test it on BOTH Acc & Ign key positions!! (It should be off otherwise - ie, when cranking and with key-switch off.)
enemen8 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2011 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
The factory radio do not work inside the car anymore but did when i took it out. I checked all fuses and only had to replace one but it wasnt the problem. It is a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
enemen8 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2011 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
and thank you oldspark and toyyoda for the responses.
toyyoda 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2011 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
The accessory (switched) wire going to the radio should be RED / gray. If this wire is not getting voltage then check fuse #1 (10A) in the passenger side kick panel. If that fuse is good, then the wire might be cut or damaged in some way. In that case running a new accessory is your best option.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic