icon

2011 tacoma problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
suzuki7 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
Hi everyone, I had a very bizzare issue with an install today.. I installed a 5501 viper with a tbxkey in a 2011 toyota tacoma.  All the wiring from 2010 seemed to line up.. all went in okay and worked good.  Remote started and ran with no trouble lights on the dash.. Then my friend went to back out of the driveway and the truck died, this is with the key ON?  we got it started again, and the traction control light and the engine light were on, and there was a weird noise coming from under neath.. If you shift from drive to park the truck shut off again..  Pretty crazy. so I pulled the starter out pulled the negative terminal and we look good, but can anyone tell me what this was or what went wrong?  thanks for any suggestions or ideas..
The best way to predict the future is to create it!
sti05 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2011 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
Im not a pro installer but this sounds to me like an issue with the bypass switching over to the key in the ignition. Possibly getting 2 signals from the bypass and ignition key?
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2011 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  

No, Toyotas are not prone to any issues seeing 2 keys. If they see 2 they will simply start as usual. The only problem i can think of is not seeing the second ignition for some reason.

So all is fine now? No dash lights?

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
sti05 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2011 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
Ok. Well if it only happens when you try to move the car I am assuming it has something to do with takeover. Just a thought.
suzuki7 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
When it firt started with the remote start everything was fine, ran well, so good tach, vents blowing, and no lights on the cluster, which usually means, all ignition wires are good..... the problems only happened when shifting gears from park to reverse and drive... then the engine shut off, with the factory key in the on position, and there was a humming from underthe truck until the gear selector was in park.... then engine and trac lights on?  the problem even persisted if we started it with the factory key, and never used the starter.. It had a mind of its own, I have done hundreds of starters and never seen a vehicle randomnly shut off with the factory key on.??
sti05 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2011 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
The sound you heard is normal of all automatic cars I know of. key on engine off put it in gear and you hear this "bzzzzzz"
suzuki7 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2011 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
This noise was a loud vacuum noise, that was no longer there after we cleared the engine light....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic