icon

getting door locks to work

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
abrrymnvette 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2011 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
I installed a Viper 5101/4102V into my 2002 Silverado. The remote start is working perfectly, but I can't for the life of me get the door locks to work.
I've got the two wires from the Viper unit hooked directly to the lt blue and white wires at the BCM. When I hit the button on the Viper remote I get nothing on my multi-meter. What am I missing? I know I'm hooked into the right wire at the BCM, bc when I use the factory remote or hold down the button on the door, I get 12v on my multi-meter.
Do I need to use any more wires besides the two at the BCM? Do I need to find the actual lock and unlock wires at the door lock motor?
This is my first install on one of these, so I'm a sponge trying to soak up the info. Thanks!
and yes I searched
brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
Typically, the R/S unit puts out a negative (-)  and the truck lock/unlock needs a positive (+) signal.  Your meter would register if you look for continuity to ground when you trigger it.  If so, you need 2 relays, one for lock and one for unlock that send a +12v signal to the lock and unlock wires.
Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
That 5101 has low current reversing outputs (some refer to it as flip/flop). If you absolutely sure you are on the right wires at the BCM then you may need to use relays to increase the current output. But I can't remember ever needing them for that truck with a DEI system.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
buddholly 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2011 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
The newer Viper units only have 500ma negative lock and unlock. This vehicle has positive locks. If it came with the 451m in the box for the 5101 you will need to use that.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 21, 2011 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
buddholly wrote:
The newer Viper units only have 500ma negative lock and unlock. This vehicle has positive locks. If it came with the 451m in the box for the 5101 you will need to use that.
This is absolutely correct...when I looked it up, I did not grab the newer manual, I grabbed the older one. You will definitely need to use either the supplied 451M or two relays.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
abrrymnvette 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2011 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
Awesome! Thanks a ton guys for the help. I'll hook up some relays and report back. I appreciate it!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic