icon

favorite remote starter?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alarep5 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2011 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  

I know this question has been asked on every one of these forms by companies or individuals that want to get into the biz, but I need whatever  advise I can get.

I have been installing Astro for the last 10 years and i have been bugged by buddy to come to his truck accy shop to install.

But around my area my local Astro dealer syas no, " area is to saturated"

So I am wondering what brand to take on.

I have a good "autostart" supplier ready to set me up, but I want to check out everyone.

viper, compustar etc.

I have gotten used to Astros "dip switch" programming and hesitate when I i think about learning the other brands switch and transmitter programming.

Since it is all Directed Elec now, are the other brands using dip switches also? 

OLDSCHOOL - If the wire is there,...use it.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2011 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  

Here's my two cents...

Compustar is a solid unit.  No DIP switches but very easy to program with the OP500 Option Programmer ( about $80 ).  The OP500 can connect at the antenna harness so access is easy.  Compustar units ( CM5x00 and CM6x00 ) use iDatalink Blade cartridges or iDatalink and Fortin (external) modules, which are excellent.

Soldering is fun!
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2011 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
Most of your brand name security manufacturers, DEI, Compustar, Audiovox, Omega, etc are good. Quality of product is rarely an issue, quality of installation is the single biggest factor in my opinion. Personally, I have had very good luck with DEI products, no dip switches and they also have their own programmer, the BitWriter. Inexpensive and reliable...but if market saturation is a concern, DEI is not the way to go as they are everywhere. As far as bypass modules are concerned, Idata has proven second to none for me.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
cjanke 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2011 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

I have sold and installed them all in my 15 years in the buisness. The brand I prefer and use is audiovox prestige and code alarm. The market is not overly saturated the quality is great the tech support is good. I would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone.  I use prestige as my step piece and code as my entry level. They have the car link and the bypass modules are made by Idata. So you have something to compete with every Dei product.

barbc 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2011 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
have a 1997 Ford expedition with a astroflex 1105 installed. Haven't used it for years since a button fell off the remote unit. The battery on the expedition needed to be charged, my husband put a trickle charger on it and now we can't engage the ignition. We read the manual for the Astroflex and it said we should have turned off the switch under the dash. Too late. Now what? My husband removed the Astroflex box completely and still we can't start it? Help snow is on it's way and it's our only 4 wheel drive
barbc
barbc
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2011 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  
Barb, find the starter wire, bet that's been cut on ignition switch loom and not rejoined.
Twelvoltz, X 2 with your comments or lately not properly reading the by-pass instructions.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2011 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  
Barb the colour of the cut wire is RED / light blue.
barbc 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2011 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the suggestion about the cut wire but no one cut anything.   fyi wish we were pros believe me. We called a sound shop and the tech told us to unplug all of the wires to the box and take it out. We did that but something is still powering? The theft light is on and we cant start it or take it out of park. My effort in asking you pros is to try to solve a problem not be a problem. If you have anybody knows any more about this please help.
barbc
cjanke 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2011 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
not being able to get the truck out of park would not be related to the theft light being on.  Also if the pats system is tripped the light would be flashing very rapdily. It id very possible that this issue is not remote stat or alarm related. Does the key turn in the ignition? If you cant take it out of park that is most likely a mechanical issue not electrical.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2011 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
X 2 with the last post, I simply thought it wouldn't start.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic