icon

subwoofer problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jkats91 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2011 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
I have a JL 10W3V3 - 2 ohm ratings subwoofer in a ported box, I have done all the test to make sure it isn't blown i.e: hooked up a voltmeter and measured resistance, steady 2 ohm's and when pushing on the cone I get no harsh scratching noises. But there is something funny, when the woofer is pumping (playing), there is a rattle noise that is coming from it, most likely the cone. Is there anyone that is aware of the issue, or has had previous experience with this subwoofer
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2011 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  
Could be a few things, something rubbing, something lose under dust cap, torn spider, air leak around flange, magnet loose, or my personnel favorite voice ciol detached from forms.  Start by good inspection, shake it, and check lead wires.....if bad they could give static sound.
jkats91 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2011 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  
lead wires are fine, when shaken no sound is heard and again i reiterate that w/the voltmeter resistance is stable at 2 ohm's, could it just be a defective woofer that needs to be replaced all together or is it a quick fix? There is no way that it is blown....??
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,672
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 27, 2011 at 5:51 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like it is blown to me.
Quickly yet gently tap the center of the cone, do you hear the same rattle that you hear when it is playing?
jkats91 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2011 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
I did exactly as you said and the rattle doesn't exist it's just a normal thump..?
i am an idiot 
Posted: February 27, 2011 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
Try it in a different box and connected to a different amplifier.  If it still rattles in both situations, it is blown.
jkats91 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2011 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
i have connected it to a different amplifier and newer box and even had it connected to the amplifier w/out a box, and still the same rattle, even though it isn't "technically" blown is there a problem with the cone?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2011 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

jkats91 wrote:
i have connected it to a different amplifier and newer box and even had it connected to the amplifier w/out a box, and still the same rattle, even though it isn't "technically" blown is there a problem with the cone?

As said above, it is blown.  Most likely what you're hearing is the voice coil rattling around and it has come unglued from the former.  This is a symptom of either defective woofer or of over power or over heating most likely due to clipping.

Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Posted: February 27, 2011 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  

Technically, It is blown.  It does not have an open voice coil, nor is the pole piece rubbing on the magnet, but it is blown.

jkats91 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2011 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
thank you guys for all of your committed time, effort and help to these forums!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic