the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

ohms, crossovers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2011 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
That should work great.
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 04, 2011 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
Looks like a great project.  You've got interest in this build.  Good luck!
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
p40whk 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2011 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
Looks like a great project.  You've got interest in this build.  Good luck!
Thanks! Most of the components were on my front porch when I got home yesterday, I was 3 woofers short but they should ship Monday.
I'm headed to Home Depot to pick up the MDF today and will begin laying everything out.
I picked up the Dayton
H110 Horns based on DYohn's recommendation but I should have checked the dimensions before I ordered them, They're huge! They're too big for what I want to do so I'm trying to figure out what to replace them with.
I'm leaning towards the Selenium HL14-25 but that's a completely different horn shape and not sure how it will affect the performance.
My other option is the Slenium HM17-25 but the throat depth is only 4 inches where as the original horn suggested has a 9-5/8" depth. The first Selenium horn I have listed above is closer in depth (10") but it has a narrower dispersion pattern (which may not be that bad for my application)
Honestly don't know what the difference between Constant Directivity, Exponential, and Bi-Radial horns are. I do know that all the specs given for the Selenium driver I'm using D220Ti, are based on the HL14-25 horn.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2011 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  

Conststant directivity means the horn will produce a more even soundfield.  There is less "beaming" like you get with a round or radial horn.  CD horns are much more effective outdoors.  Yea, they are a bit large, sorry about that.

The horn does not require an enclosure.  Here's an idea: build your enclosures for the woofers and just mount the horns on top with a layer of fiberglass over the drivers  to protect them from the elements.

Here's a nice looking but smaller CD horn, although the PE site seems to be out of stock at the moment.

Support the12volt.com
p40whk 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2011 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  
I've only got about 11 inches to work with between the top of my Bimini and the bottom of the tower that the pod will mount to. I can't mount anything on top of the tower because I trailer the boat through some pretty low tunnels.
Here's a pic of the boat showing the Bimini, tower, and current Polk speakers:
ohms, crossovers - Page 3 -- posted image.
My ultimate size will be right at 58" wide by 11" high by 14" deep.
DYohn 
Posted: March 05, 2011 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  

Hmm.  That's a very small area to work with.  Here's a simple drawing of what I had in mind, but that won't work in your mounting location.

ohms, crossovers - Page 3 -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
p40whk 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2011 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I'm kind of limited. Would the other horns really sound that bad? Shape and size wise they solve my problem. If they were closer to 8" square I would have no problems with the H110's but they're almost 12" square and I couldn't find anything (at parts express) any smaller.
I'll do a bit of web searching to see if there is anything else out there
DYohn 
Posted: March 05, 2011 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
They won't sound bad, no.  The only down side of them is they are simply more directional.  I say go for it, use the design that fits into your system best and see what you end up with.   Be sure you order a horn that is designed to screw onto your drivers.  1 3/8-18 thread I believe.
Support the12volt.com
p40whk 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2011 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
They won't sound bad, no.  The only down side of them is they are simply more directional.  I say go for it, use the design that fits into your system best and see what you end up with.   Be sure you order a horn that is designed to screw onto your drivers.  1 3/8-18 thread I believe.
Great! That's a relief. I've been laying everything out on paper and trying to fit everything in and it looks as if the two horns I have as options are the only things that will fit. Even the flared vent port I bought is too big so I'm going with PVC as you originally suggested.
Will document and post pics as I go.
DYohn 
Posted: March 05, 2011 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
If you can't return the horns and the flared port, let me know via PM.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic