icon

how do you know if you need rs bypass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gmc8757 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2011 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
I'm sorry, I'm sure this question has been asked, but I couldn't find an answer.
Is there an easy way to tell if a car needs a bypass or if you can just install the Remote Starter as a stand alone unit? I know it's a chip in the key but how do you know if there is a chip or not?
The car I'd like to know right away is an 04 Hyundai Sonata with Alarm system.
I plan on using an Ultra Start 1272
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 28, 2011 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
When I'm not sure if a car needs a bypass I check the sites for companies that make them. Idata, Xpresskit, and Fortin. Just look up the vehicle using their built in search tools. If the vehicle is not listed it probably does not need a bypass. If Xpresskits only shows the key-in-a-box style bypass it might not need one.
Just for the record, your 04 Sonata does not need a transponder bypass.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2011 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
The Sonata will definately not need a bypass. I've done tons of them, very easy install...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
gmc8757 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2011 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys I appreciate the replies.
On the sonata...how do I tie in the factory alarm system. Never did one w an alarm before. I'll be using an Ultra start 1272. Thanks a lot
phil6710 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2011 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  

You cant really tie in to the factory alrm as its controled by the factory remote only. Just install a keyless/start unit and tell the customer not to ever use the factory remote.

Solartech Window Tinting and Electronics,contract installer
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2011 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  

phil6710 wrote:
You cant really tie in to the factory alrm as its controled by the factory remote only. Just install a keyless/start unit and tell the customer not to ever use the factory remote.

phil6710, yes, it's typically easier (or less of a fuss) to just install a complete aftermarket system, but.you can use a stand alone remote start unit with a factory keyless entry/alarm on some vehicles.  You need to install a channel expander (ties into the lock/unlock wires) to provide a pulse (typically negative) to the remote start unit. You also need to install a relay to kill accessory and/or ignition power to the factory keyless/alarm to maintain remote fuctionality while the remote start is engaged. I recall doing this on circa 2000 Dodge Rams with Prestige and Pursuit products for a car dealer that wanted to sell the vehicles with only the factory remotes.

how do you know if you need rs bypass? -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2011 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged  

There are RS units specifically designed to work off the factory remotes, like the Pro9076C from Pursuit or the 4003L from Avital. They use the motor leg wires to control operation, but the problem on this car is the remotes won't work when it's running. You could possibly find a way to get the keyless to still work even then, but you may not. Many new cars control this function right thru data.

A stand alone will give better range and disarm the alarm when it is turned on. The best feature of the Pro9056C or the 4113A Stand alones are they will also unlock the door for you when the RS is on off the single one button remote. Because of this i think the stand alone is a better choice in this car. Now it it were a Ford or Nissan i would go the other route since they allow the keyless to work when the car is running.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
carsolutions 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2011 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
simple, some of those cars say that require a bypass but they dont. the easy way would be someone to look at your key or go to home depot get a copy of your key for 2 bucks and see if starts the car, if it does you dont need anything. if doesnt you do. car needs to start and stay running. try it a few times because the computer migth store the code of the original key for a bit.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 03, 2011 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
carsolutions wrote:
go to home depot get a copy of your key for 2 bucks
This method works fine if it's your own vehicle. If you are a shop and need to quote a price, this method simple would not be practical.
carsolutions wrote:
try it a few times because the computer migth store the code of the original key for a bit.
Can you give me one specific example of when you have seen this happen? I have never seen any vehicle that uses a transponder based anti-theft system "store the code of the original key for a bit"...it would completely defeat the purpose of a passive anti-theft system.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
simplyfalling 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2011 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  

If the vehicle is at the shop you can always wrap the key head in aluminum foil and attempt to start the vehicle.  $1.50 and you can test all winter long if you really needed to.  Doesnt work on some gm vehicles, and I can not verify that it would work on any of the proximity key style vehicles, but typically once you see that key you know you need an interface module. 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic