icon

tough vehicles

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jinstaller1 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2011 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  

Okay i am currently putting together a new hire/installer checklist and was curious if anyone would throw in their 2 cents... I've gotten most of it down but was wanting to put together a pain in the %$# list... and obviously i cant list everything in this otherwise it would be page after page but was thinking about things like...  Some newer Kia/ Hyundai's in order to control doorlocks correctly the correct wires tend to be in the driver door...    Some nissans factory alarm disarms are in the door also...     Well u all get the idea (audio,video and security)post if ya can think of anything off the top of your heads and thanks in advance... =)

Jayce
jinstaller1 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2011 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
LOL well that posted up weird.... hope it still makes sense....
Jayce
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 01, 2011 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
Putting a radio into an Acura 3.2TL.  I do not know the year, but my installers cry about it.
phil6710 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2011 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
Is this like a cars I hate to do list?! Well I have a bunch. 06 Malibu I hate doing it. Pretty much any Saab. Vw audis bmw ect. Newer Nisans are the worst to do period. Push to start Nissans are the most worst on my list. Some other car that are a pain to do are the 2011 toyota Rav 4 with a idatalink bypass mpdule. some wires are super hard to access. I would be easier to do with out a bypass. I could go on!!
Solartech Window Tinting and Electronics,contract installer
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2011 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  
Any Peugeot/Citroen/Renault (you lucky buggers not getting them), poor quality (easy to brake) fittings, illogical systems (never two the same). No real colour codes or changed every three months on the colours, strange second ignition that feeds back through the switch to ignition 1 thus needs an isolating relay with R/S, some models like Fiat and Alfa Romeo, poor trims.
All Germans from about 2002, DATA systems.
jinstaller1 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2011 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

phil6710 wrote:
Is this like a cars I hate to do list?! Well I have a bunch. I could go on!!

Yea it is like a I hate car list ... lol ... yea i have a list of those myself but what i am looking for is cars like cavaliers where in order to install a radio u have to remove the entire top of the dash so you would charge a few extra dollars for the install...

Jayce
carsolutions 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2011 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
i will say one of the worst car i have done a starter is a 10 nissan altima everything is behing the speedometer. to change speakers a cadillac sedan is imposible to take the door a part without brake something and on audio if you use american international klits give him a 777 ans see if he can make it work for any vehicle. to run wires for bass a land rover....i think he will hate me if you ask this questions.
carsolutions 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2011 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  

man that sounds bad are european vehicles that bad to work?

i have work on mercedes, vw. bmw and they suck but i have no idea about a fiat or peugeot. what about renault?

afdanw 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2011 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
If you are looking for cars that you charge extra for here is something.  Rear speakers in a older chevy truck were you have to take out a bunch of paneling.  Ford tauras  were you have to run all that wire from the trunk.  93+ lincon town car with the tuner box and amp in the trunk (the one you cannot just jumper over).  Old VW's (or anything) with a common ground.  Im pretty sure there is a van (i think ford) that i usually charged a bit extra for since it had a tuner behind the glove box.   Maxima (or any older nissan) with bose.  Eddie bower edition explorers with the wierd antena thing that you had to add a resistor.  I have been out of professional install for a while, so i am sure this list is kinda outdated.  All corvettes, since they tend to be a pain in the butt in one way or another.  Isn't the battery on a viper really hard to get to by the tire, making amps hard to install?  Wow, making this list is making me realize how out of practice i am, and how long it has been since i have delt with this stuff. 
If your cousin is such a good installer, and he will install anything for a 6 pack; why are you talking to me?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2011 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
For obvious reasons (where I am) I work on Euros all the time, basically we call French cars "CRAP" = Citroen, Renault and Peugeot.
A colleague has a C4 Citroen (=A4 Audi) he was driving past me the other day and I went to ask him something, he had to open the door, I said oh no, he said oh yes, the curse of French electrics strikes again.
Poor electrics, poor panel fits, extract a switch panel it will break,all wiring 3 or 4 pastel colours with tiny numbers on the end, they change their colours every few weeks you have to go on terminal pins.
E.G. On some Peugeots the dome light power was red and the switch side was orange, on the trunk light these colours are reversed, a Peugeot van where the back door (cargo area) light was controlled by the driver's door switch.
Then you get to do a Fiat or an Alfa, good luck to you lot when they arrive in North America this year as Chryslers.
Hey I even do a runner from Audis post 02 and BMW 06; too much CAN, too complicated, factory audio is too good, etc.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic