icon

04 jeep cherokee remote starter problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2011 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I installed a refurbished Clifford 3.3X alarm/remote starter with Xpresskit XK09 on a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Everything went smooth, but whenever I remote start the vehicle....it runs for a few seconds and then shuts off. I hooked up the tach and programmed the tach. Still no luck. I noticed that the alarm doesnt seem to remember the program settings. Everytime I go back into the "Engine Checking Mode" feature....it goes back to voltage. I checked out the diagnostics and the LED flashes 3 times for low or no rpm, if I remember correctly. Should I send this alarm brain back or what? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 03, 2011 at 7:38 AM / IP Logged  
It's possible the unit is bad. The comment you make about 'it goes back to voltage' it what leads to me believe it may be a bad brain. If the unit programs correctly to a tachometer connection there is no other engine checking programming required. In other words, when you start the car and press/hold the programming button to program tachometer and the LED illuminates, you don't have to go into the engine checking mode section of programming. With that said, I have seen a couple (not many) DEI pieces that would not learn tach properly no matter where I tried to get tach, uncommon injector, cam sensor, crank sensor, etc. Just to test, did you disconnect your tach connection and try voltage sensing? This might help decipher whether or not the brain is bad.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
buddholly 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2011 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
I've had issues with the tach signal on Dodges, I would try to use virtualtach
godd dan it 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2011 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
I did get the tach to program correctly....the LED flashed and I heard a "click" from the alarm brain. That "should" mean its programmed. The car usually works fine after that, but after a few mins. it will start and then shut off again. I go back into programming mode, and find that its programmed for voltage (again). I tried virtual tach without any luck. It seems to always go back to voltage and voltage doesnt work either.
buddholly 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2011 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
I've used hardwire tach signals on them before and it would program correctly but would have intermittent issues starting down the road. Do you have a good clean ground?
godd dan it 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2011 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  

buddholly wrote:
I've used hardwire tach signals on them before and it would program correctly but would have intermittent issues starting down the road. Do you have a good clean ground?

Yes I do.

godd dan it 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2011 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
Bump. Anyone else have any insight?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic