2006 dodge ram, viper 5301, xk09

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nphrob 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2011 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  
Hi guys,
First I want to say thanks, as this forum has helped me many times in the past. I've installed remote start systems in I think about 15 vehicles now, and I've used a DEI xpresskit once. It worked well, so I'm back to it for my truck.
I bought a Viper 5301 and the XK09 xpress kit. I've never used one of these style xpresskits, one that overrides the factory security, etc so I'd like a few pointers if possible. I've found the wiring diagram for the vehicle, and I know that I have a transponder key but I was under the assumption that the XK09 didn't need two keys to program it. In the instructions it says it does.
I've also read conflicting resistances in regards to the parking light wire. I've got a relay and harness for that, but what resistance should it be? 1300 or 1100 ohms?
Thanks in advance
nphrob 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2011 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  
I noted in the title, but not in the description. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500, and it has the transponder key with the fob built into it.
nphrob 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2011 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  
Oh and, I had the XK09 flashed to the 9.CHRYSLER 2.08 firmware.
gabedemelo 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2011 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
you dont usually need relay for park lights,... find - light wire (should be WHITE/ light green at switch) and switch park light output from remote start to -. ground your test light and test resistors between vehicle and rs..... the dei rs should have jumper to switch park light output. the xk09s do need 2 dodge or chrysler keys to program,... at least they used to.
GreenGables
gabedemelo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2011 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
sorry i meant ground test light,... then test resistors between probe end of test light and vehicle park light wire.
GreenGables
gabedemelo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2011 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
ok looked up xpresskits, i guess you dont need 2 keys now. make sure your module has been flashed recently and then get install manual from xpresskits.com. should say type 3,.. look up your vehicle on that site then get install manuals from the xk09 result.
GreenGables
nphrob 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2011 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies! I started looking at all my diagrams and manuals today. Should be attacking it within the next few days. I got two more keys made and programmed to the truck before digging into this anyway, so now I've got 3 good keys.
Have to run and get a diode and a relay yet, then I'm ready to start wiring it all in. I will let you know how it goes.
Any other pointers, throw them in.
Thanks
nphrob 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2011 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
Got it in! And it works!
Two issues:
1) If I have the truck parked / locked and I remote start, as soon as it remote starts it honks the horn once. Is that because it is disarming factory security and re-activating it?
2) If I get out of the truck and arm it too soon, lets say 20 seconds after I get out of it, my keyfob freaks out like the system is panicking. If I press the lock button on the remote it stops. Any ideas?
Viper was so kind to include a "quick start" install chart and then an owner's manual but no in depth install guide. I understand this is so people who don't know what they're doing can't install the stuff but I could really use the full install manual if there is one.
Otherwise this setup works great! Starts perfect, locks and unlocks like it should I just don't know about the panic deal.
nphrob 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2011 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
I just found the full install guide.
Still want to know what in the world my remote freaks out for, if I don't wait long enough to lock it. Nothing else happens, no lights flashing or anything...
Thanks
buddholly 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2011 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
Your doors are unlocking when you start the car, as soon as the vehicle starts it relocks the doors, the horn is to confirm your factory security system is armed...this is common.
If you figure out what zone is tripping on the the alarm it will give you an idea on where to check.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic