icon

viper 211hv

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
texan67 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2011 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  

I am new to the forum and tried to find a comparable post, but couldn't, so I will ask in this category since it mostly has to do with the keyless remote. I'll apologize in advance if I confuse you, as I am confused as the dickens myself.

OK, here is my dilemna...I am using a Viper 211 HV to build a remote control 12 volt cattle supplement feeder because of the Viper's extended range(trying to save myself about $800). I am also using an SPDT relay to supply a constant flow of power to the motor. The idea is that the keyless remote will close a circuit on the relay, thereby powering the motor until such time the "off", or more accurately, the "Unlock" button on the remote is pushed. My question is...How do I wire it up to the relay so that the feeder is activated when I hit the "Lock" button and turn it off a few minutes later when the "Unlock" button is pushed? I'll be the first to admit that I have no clue what-so-ever when it comes to electronics. I will attach reference pages for you to look at the wiring and the relay I am reffering to. So, I want to be able to turn my feeder motor off and on with the unlock/lock buttons on my remote...how do I wire that up? I know it's a lot for me to take in, but some of you guys may be able to do it in your sleep.

http://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/ig/viper/N412V_01-05.pdf      Pages 4-7 give wire details and page 15 gives an overveiw of the harness as a whole.

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp       The relay in Figure #1 is the one I have.

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.

blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2011 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  

If you're using this systemjust to turn the motor on/off, you'll only need three wires.

1. H1/1 - Red +12V constant

2. H1/11 - Black chassis ground

3. H1/16 - Orange (-) 500ma Ground when armed (use this wire  to trigger the relay. it goes to ground when locked and +12V when unlocked) connect it to pin 85, pins 86 & 87 to +12v constant and pin 30 to the power wire of the motor.

kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2011 at 6:27 AM / IP Logged  

Great idea and using the Ground When Armed signal to control the motor is brilliant!  One thought..

If the cattle feeder motor does not run on +12 volts, then connect Relay Pin 87 to the actual motor voltage required ( possibly 120 VAC ).  Basically, the cattle feeder motor power wire will be interrupted by ( and flow thru ) Relay Pins 87 and 30.

Soldering is fun!
texan67 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2011 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the advice. It is a 12v motor.

Blanx218, the feeder motor, relay and remote unit will be housed in a small metal box and has no actual contact with the ground. When you say to "ground" the wire, do I just connect it to the (-) pole on the battery, or would it be better to ground it to the free-hanging box?

This is a large portable device designed to be hung from a big tree limb like the smaller 5-gallon deer feeder buckets...only it's not as small. I have no way to "ground" it to the actual soil. Everything is having to be up in the air because the wild hogs are destroying everything...literally. They even ripped my lighting power cables out of the ground and pulled down the $600 sodium vapor stadium lights I had mounted on a pole with stainless steel hardware. They are very strong and ruthless. They have cost me thousands so far in lost feed, destruction of property and I even suspect them to be the ones that killed a few newborn calves.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
In a DC system ground is the battery NEG side.
texan67 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2011 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Howie. Playing devils advocate here...If I wire it up as described above and it is wrong, will I burn up, or otherwise damage, any of the components such as the remote receiver?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2011 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
You can damage anything if you wire it wrong viper 211hv -- posted image.
texan67 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  

I installed a Viper 211HV unit and am only getting 95 feet out of the remote, as opposed to the 1,500' they advertise. Now I don't realistically expect 1,500', but I figured it would go atleast 1,000', and at the minimum 500'. The antenna wire is actually exposed and is not wrapped(coiled) around anything. I even had my son hold the antenna up in the air and still all I got was 95'. What would cause such a dramatic reduction in range?

I called Best Buy, which is where I bought it, but those guys are clueless about it and the manufacturer just tells me to call Best Buy. The manufacturer won't talk to you and the dealer doesn't know anything about it...nothing like good'ol customer support huh? lol 

Thanks in advance for any advice you may offer.

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
You said it yourself, the range is "advertised". Extend the antenna wire fully leave no loops, you won't get 1500 feet, but it might help.
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
texan67 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
I figured they would fudge the range a little...but to have a 1,400' discrepency?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic