icon

subs facing each other

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lemar 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
I am putting 2 x 12" subs into the boot of my Saab 9-5. just measured the boxes and the space in my boot and the boot is 2cm's to narrow to have them facing towards the boot lid. damn.
My options are to either face 1 out the back and 1 facing the other sub, or have both facing each other or both facing back to back (each towards the wheel arch).
I am guessing that it could sound very bad if I choose the wrong one. to make this dilemma worst 1 sub is 800w and the other is 2000w. and no I don't want to use just 1 sub and chuck the other one away.
Please give me some advise from your personal experiences.
Many thanks, Luke.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
Sell the 2 12" subs and buy 2 10" matching subs.
Kevin Pierson
lemar 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
I don't really want sell anything, I just wanna utilise what I have. which way should I face the subs if I had to do it this way.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
There isn't an option that would sound good enough to justify using what you have just for the sake of using the parts you have.
If you are absolutely set on using what you have build a V shaped box and fire both subs towards the back of the car. The V shape will give you more surface area to mount the subs. I mounted (3) 12" subs in a 35" trunk this way (well more like this \_/ )
Firing them towards each other will sound terrible. Firing them in opposite directions won't sound much better.
Using two completely different subs is not optimal either. What are you going to power them with?
Kevin Pierson
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure that are 180° out of phase at all frequencies so that they do not cancel out.
Or in phase if reversed.
You'll probably find the right distance requires the boot to be widened 2cm so the subs can face the right direction (instead).
Otherwise there are DSP units that are capable of such processing. They might be cheaper than a boot expansion.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
Fire one to each wheel arch.
ccityroadshop 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
If you are not worried about how it sounds then it really does not matter which way you face them, what amp are you going to power these with, you would get better sq using just one sub.
mustang GT convertible with lots of performance mods... Alpine M500 amp with sealed enclosure, 10 inch kappa perfect, clarion cz500 head unit, kicker ks speakers all around
lemar 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2011 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  

i am using differant power amps to run the subs seperatly so thats not an issue, 1's a mono 1800w RMS and the others a 2 x 350W RMS amp (running the lower powered sub and my 6x9's.

I'm thinking that I might need to get a new slightly smaller sub box if it will not sound as good facing differant ways.

So thats sorted, but now you have all worryed me about 2 differant power subs. If they are both facing the same way (boot lid) and are using different amps that will give them the power they need will it sound ok.

Thanks for your advice so far, this site is a massive help.

Luke.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic