icon

2 x 4 ohm dvc w/ kappa one 1 or 4

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
needs_help 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
I'm replacing an older MB dsc2150 amp with a new Infinity Kappa One and wanted to get some thoughts on wiring. The Kappa one says it's stable at 1ohm yet boasts 500rmsx1@4 or 800x1@2 -- I'm wiring up two infinity 1262W's which are both DVC 4ohm.
Is there any reason not to wire these down to 1ohm or do you think 4 would be the most practical, best bet, and without lacking on the power side when needed?
System isn't used for annoying the populous on a daily basis and typically plays all types of music at low to med-high levels. Every now and then it gets cranked up to its max, but I don't really think that these two 12's would notice much of a difference on SnR (though I'm far from experienced or an expert).
Thanks in advance
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  

Do both.  Wire the coils of each speaker in parallel.  Making each speaker a 2 ohm driver.  In the following diagram, voice coil one = speaker one.  Voice Coil two = speaker 2

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram27.html

ccityroadshop 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
nice diagram learned something new today, never thought about using relays with two dual 4 subs to accomplish a 2 ohm load
mustang GT convertible with lots of performance mods... Alpine M500 amp with sealed enclosure, 10 inch kappa perfect, clarion cz500 head unit, kicker ks speakers all around
needs_help 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
In this case do you lose anything due to the switching time of the relays? I know that this is again minimalistic but without having a few min to think about it I'm not sure I'm wrapping my brain around the 'how it's working' -- What sized relays should be used (if it matters other than >= max amp draw?
Will this bring the impedance truly down to a 2ohm draw whereas in a typical wiring setup for 2x4ohmDVC's you're limited to 1/4/>
Wiring these down to 1ohm whereas the KappaOne is rated stable at one would you suggest this as to be too much for the amp/subs or 4ohm being too little? either way the kappa is going to outbest the MB but i'd like to be able to kick it into high gear if wanted and am not sure as to how the relay integration would pose potential problems etc.   I'll look again tomorrow when the brain is charged and look forward to any further updates yall might have.
Thanks!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 15, 2011 at 4:25 AM / IP Logged  
2 Ohms is not one of the options. It will be 1 or 4 Ohms. A standard Tyco 30/40 amp relay is what you need. Should be available from your local stereo shop.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic