icon

2 dvc subs both different ohms

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
normaspleen 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2011 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
ok i am new to car audio. i bought a 12" 4 ohm dvc mtx jackhammer (jh5512-44), all was good but then i decided to add another sub and could not find another jackhamer. So i decided to buy a pioneer ts-w1208d4 subwoofer originally i bought the 4 ohm dvc but ended up taking it back because it rattled internally. They had sold all of the 4 ohm subs and would not let me choose another one so now i am stuck with a 2 ohm dvc subwoofer (pioneer ts-w1208d2) . i thought it would be fine, but my buddy told me that i had to use both voice coils on the sub (previously i was running each sub on one voice coil, like i said i am new to this.) So my question is can i wire them together so i have a total impedance of either 2 or 4 ohm? i am powering them with a rockford fosgate 600.1 bd amp 400 watts rms at 4 ohm and 600 at 2 ohm. any help would be appreciated.
Normaspleen
sthrnbmpn 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2011 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  
ive been in similar dilemma and made it work with no damage i am aware of. you could wire both subs parallel/series, which means your 4 dvc sub would be wired to 2 ohm's, and your 2 dvc to 1 ohm , then wire both in series to your amp for a total of a 3 ohm load. the 2 ohm dvc (1ohm) will be a bit louder than the jackhammer but until you can come across another mtx 4 dvc id guestimate about 500 watts on a 3 ohm load. but again im just rookie member , RF is in the upper end of the mainstream companies and if i were in this situation id be bumpin on 500 watts 2 dvc subs both different ohms -- posted image.
1000 watts of lp, now need sum hp an mids
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 26, 2011 at 1:18 AM / IP Logged  

2 subs, different subs, AND different impedance, normally woul;d cause nothing but problems.

Sound will stink, and the amp will suffer as well.....

2 subs..... make em the same subs...

sthrnbmpn 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2011 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
hey tuneman you said the amp would suffer, i thought that all the amp seen was a ohm load, whether it was different ohm subs or sized, that is why i replied to this post, i was in a similar jam and tried it till i just decided to match my stuff a little better. its kinda funny looking back on some things i did to get the max wattage from an amp.
1000 watts of lp, now need sum hp an mids

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic